Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Wiring diagrams and questions
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by Helical »

Ok, so I'm nutting out what to chop and change with my series 2 VS to series 3 VS engine loom/PCM switch and am a little lost when it comes to the VSS.

My ute is fitted with the T5 (5 speed manual) but the PCM that is going in was made with to work with the Getrag box. My issue being that the diagrams I have show the T5 having a single (purple/white) wire running from the VSS to the ECU while the Getrag has two wires (Tan and Blue/White on the diagram, in real life they are red wires in a black outer with coloured heatshrink at the PCM plug) running to the PCM. Is there going to be a way for me to plug the T5 VSS into the VT/VS3 PCM and have it work?

Troy
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by Helical »

Anybody even care to take a guess? I have figured out the power wire down to the T5 VSS which doesn't go via the ECU on the VS 2, so I now have two wires for the speed sensor but I'm not about to go sticking a power wire into the new PCM, might not end so well.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by antus »

I'd hook the signal wire up to one of the two pins, and if it doenst read, then the other.. then if it still doesnt read, come back for more figuring.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by Helical »

Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I do the switch. Was doing the change today but have realised the VT S1 loom I have is a little too different to the VS3 loom so that went into the too hard basket and now I search for a VS3 V8 engine loom :roll:
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by VL400 »

T5 = Hall effect and Getrag = reluctor sensor. The VT PCM uses pin D2 for a hall effect input, the bin needs to be setup to select the correct VSS input - need to have manual trans flag set and VSS option cleared.
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by Helical »

Awesome, just the stuff I want to hear. Cheers for that!
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by Helical »

I have been playing with this but can't get a VSS reading through the PCM. I have the V/W wire from the T5 Hall Effect sensor into pin D2 of the PCM anf have played with the flags I have available in TP but still can't get a readout. The sensor is working as the signal wire is tee'd off to run to the dash too and I'm getting correct readings from the speedo. I have a feeling there may be something I am missing in the Bin/ADX/XDF file(s) :think:

Attached is a screenshot from TunerPro RT of the flags I have been trying combinations of.

Troy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Not sure why there's 2 flags for manual transmission, but I think you only select hi res output for reluctor type & guessing un-tick for hall effect?

Cheers VX L67 Getrag
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by VL400 »

Try with the manual 1 and 2 flags set (flag 1 is the man/auto flag and 2 is RDSC) and the hi res flag cleared (its for a getrag man trans).
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Difference between Getrag VSS and T5 VSS?

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thanks for clarification VL, didn't know about the RDSC flag will need to read up!

Was pretty sure with Hi Res flag as you said too!