I have the narrowband learn flag on, wideband learn flag off.
minimum coolant closed loop and maximum are within range.
the box in dashboard for "02 status" say not ready?
I am seeing .5 or so volts in dash from 02 sensor
I have set the time to closed loop to 0
What else do i have to do?
the dash says it's trying to go closed loop by the "set" but the dash also says open loop.
the desired is set to 14.7, the stoich is set at the same.
i'm trying to get it idling in closed loop but doesn't want to go in.
any reason why?
and what is the f60 ruel near the top in the flags section do? I tried changing that to stoich and f60 but that doesn't make it go closed loop either.
can't get into closed loop?
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: can't get into closed loop?
Unless you have fixed your lean issues, turn them both off. You will just confuse things moreV8hilux wrote:I have the narrowband learn flag on, wideband learn flag off.
It sounds like your playing with fire againV8hilux wrote: minimum coolant closed loop and maximum are within range.
the box in dashboard for "02 status" say not ready?
I am seeing .5 or so volts in dash from 02 sensor
I have set the time to closed loop to 0
What else do i have to do?
the dash says it's trying to go closed loop by the "set" but the dash also says open loop.
the desired is set to 14.7, the stoich is set at the same.
i'm trying to get it idling in closed loop but doesn't want to go in.
any reason why?
and what is the f60 ruel near the top in the flags section do? I tried changing that to stoich and f60 but that doesn't make it go closed loop either.
Now, if the sensor is showing 500mV all the time its prob dead or not connected. Until the O2 sensor is ready you wont ever get closed loop. Closed loop fuel at idle is not a good idea either, stoich is too lean and will hunt unless you slow the proportional gain down. Dont play with the F60/Stoich flag unless you want a dead engine, it will target stoich under ALL conditions if you select stoich - boost included!
Another thing that helps diagnose things is to post a log
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: can't get into closed loop?
Thanks, I'm just fiddling with things again trying to learn more about the things ose12p can do.
How does the ecu know when the 02 sensor is "ready" does the wideband need to be reading 14.7 before the narrowband 02 gets ready?
I'm not driving it, just fiddling about at idle and revving in neutral... I'm expecting to put a new fuel pressure reg in and will need to do it all again so yeah just having some fun. Good to know about the f60... wouldn't want that on in boost!
How does the ecu know when the 02 sensor is "ready" does the wideband need to be reading 14.7 before the narrowband 02 gets ready?
I'm not driving it, just fiddling about at idle and revving in neutral... I'm expecting to put a new fuel pressure reg in and will need to do it all again so yeah just having some fun. Good to know about the f60... wouldn't want that on in boost!
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: can't get into closed loop?
I meant i do want it on in boost lol.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: can't get into closed loop?
narrowband and wideband are totally seperate .... the narrowband has settings in the tune to determine when its ready, like needs to be certain amount of time after startup before the ecm will even look at its signal.
also if you have a non heated O2 sensor they are reasonably useless at idle and stuff cause the exhaust is not hot enough, but generally when your cruising alone and up it they will work ok.
the other way you can easily tell in a log if its working is if the reading is moving around, even if it is a reasonably flat line it will still have blips in it and when you rev the engine it will move ALOT more.
heres an example of a narrowband in closed loop mode, bottom monitor green trace - the blue trace with it is the commanded AFR of 14.7

also if you have a non heated O2 sensor they are reasonably useless at idle and stuff cause the exhaust is not hot enough, but generally when your cruising alone and up it they will work ok.
the other way you can easily tell in a log if its working is if the reading is moving around, even if it is a reasonably flat line it will still have blips in it and when you rev the engine it will move ALOT more.
heres an example of a narrowband in closed loop mode, bottom monitor green trace - the blue trace with it is the commanded AFR of 14.7
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: can't get into closed loop?
The narrowband 02 moves around in my last log.
I just can't get it to "get ready" I might try to find the timer for it, I thought i had everything set for it but mustn't have
I just can't get it to "get ready" I might try to find the timer for it, I thought i had everything set for it but mustn't have
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: can't get into closed loop?
so looking at that log you posted, looks like it reads rich, then leans the engine. the ecu reads lean, then richens again and the cycle continues.
Where in the tune would you want the closed loop? vl said to run richer at idle, and I know we want to definitely be richer in boost and the upper parts of the kpa map so where should we use closed loop?
Where in the tune would you want the closed loop? vl said to run richer at idle, and I know we want to definitely be richer in boost and the upper parts of the kpa map so where should we use closed loop?
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: can't get into closed loop?
Going by your log there, it looks like the engine spikes under the line more than above it... does that mean the narrowband specs need to be adjusted slightly with the rich lean points to get it more in the middle or doesn't it matter as long as it goes up and down across the line each time?
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: can't get into closed loop?
There is closed loop determination settings in the tune, the o2 for a start has to meet a swing of usually around 700mv back down to 250mv before it will look at it and consider it ready. There's also other conditions such as timers, coolant temps etc etc to meet for closed loop and then BLM enable.
-
V8hilux
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
- cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
- Location: Inverell Northern NSW
Re: can't get into closed loop?
I figured it out... It is not getting hot enough where it is positioned in the exhaust at idle. I found out today, If I hold it at 3000 rpm for a few minutes it "gets ready" I don't need it's services in the tune yet but now i know the problem. I had the timers, temps ect good for it so I'm fairly sure it is too cold at idle.
thanks.
thanks.