The temperature sensor goes direct to the PCM. The temperature gauge in the instrument cluster runs on serial data from the BCM. I want to run a basic AutoMeter temperature gauge. So I tried wiring the gauge in parallel with the PCM on the line from the temperature sender. The PCM doesn't like this and throws a code and displays "HOT" and fires up both fans. Interestingly, the OEM temperature gauge didn't falter (still read accurate) and the autometer gauge appeared to be accurate although I didn't test it too long.
Does anyone know what a solution might be? I already have the AutoMeter gauges and I plan on using them. I don't want to run the OEM BCM and Instrument Cluster. I wonder if there is anywhere else on the engine I can mount a second temperature sender dedicated just to the gauge?
I have a similar problem with oil pressure, but I can get around it using a tee piece on the oil pump and run two senders (if the PCM isn't happy with the autometer gauge in parallel like the temperature gauge).
Now that I'm getting in to it I'm starting to see why most hot-rodders stay away from EFI engines.
Andrew.
