I'm planning building a street rod with a VT V8, as mentioned in a previous post. The build hasn't progressed much due to life getting in the way.
I have come across another difficulty I need help with. I have purchased a complete VT V6 as a donor car for many other parts and after looking closely I have realised there is a snag with what I plan to do with the auto transmission shift mode switch.
Basically, I want to run the VT V8 without the BCM, thanks to some kind help from this forum I have got around the security (VATS) issue but I want to be able to swich shift modes and see what mode the computer is in.
Looking at the wiring diagrams I assumed the shift mode switch was a toggle, so I was planning on running a double pole double throw switch, one half switching the PCM input to ground, the other half of the switch for a mode indicator. But now I have a complete running car I see that the switch is momentary and that sort of throws my idea out the window.
I could have a momentary switch but I can't see how I will be able to tell what mode the PCM is in as the original shift mode indicator is run via SDI to the instrument cluster from the BCM. I don't want to use the original VT instrument cluster in my vehicle and I don't really want to run the BCM either.
My other option is to tie the switch input to ground permanently so the PCM always puts the transmission into power mode.
So I'm wondering if my PCM can be re-programmed to give me this functionality. Either to make the shift mode switch input not momentary, i.e. floating = Normal, ground = Power mode - or program a spare output (is there such a thing?) to run an indicator to show when power mode is engaged.
Sorry if the above seem incoherent ramble, I'm not sure how else to say it.
Thanks,
Andrew.
