Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Six_Shooter
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:06 am
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by Six_Shooter »

Right now, my starting boost pressure is 10 PSIG. and then ramps to 14 PSIG between 50 and 70 MPH (Code59 base boost pressure vs MPH table). I set that table up as more of a boost controller test, because I suspected problems, and haven't changed it since. I'm going to reduce the peak boost to probably around 12 PSIG, for now. :think:

Currently I don't have an IC, the piping is all set-up for it, just haven't had time to make the tanks for the IC. The IC cores are welded together. I'm using two IC cores from Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupes. I have the material to make the tanks, just haven't time to get it made up yet, soon though, because I'm going to need it soon enough. ;)
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by Holden202T »

maybe you could dial in the boost control to allow you to have bugger all boost till about 20-30mph then bring it on .... might allow you to get out of the hole without too much :driving:

14psi is a fair bit of boost without a cooler .... and that annoys all the z guys hahaha :D

i assume thats your limit because of map sensor is it ?
User avatar
Six_Shooter
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:06 am
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by Six_Shooter »

Holden202 wrote:maybe you could dial in the boost control to allow you to have bugger all boost till about 20-30mph then bring it on .... might allow you to get out of the hole without too much :driving:

14psi is a fair bit of boost without a cooler .... and that annoys all the z guys hahaha :D

i assume thats your limit because of map sensor is it ?
Yeah, I can set it up to have very little boost, in fact I used to have it set to about 4 PSIG IIRC at 30 MPH (lowest part of the range) and then ramp up on a smooth increase to 9.5 PSIG at 60 MPH, but, like I said wanted to see what was the root cause of my boost control problem, and it turned out to be a weak wastegate actuator. I chose a week one to start with, but didn't realize how much force there would be on the rather large wastegate flapper in the BW turbo. With the spring I have on there now, it works well. :driving:

Yeah, it seems that anyone that is able to do something they haven't or don't understand annoys them. That's why my experiance is "unique" to them. LOL

My MAP is a 3 BAR MAP, so, no, that is not a limiting factor. I do plan to run over 20 PSIG of boost, that should enable me to hit the 300 WHP that I am trying to acheive. I'm going to reduce boost, just to have more safety margin until I can tune it a bit more at higher boost, and get the FMIC and the larger injectors in there.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by Holden202T »

hehehee nothing like an old 6 on steriods :D
zrossa
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:30 pm
cars: ke35 with vnv6, 260z with chevy v8, 635csi soon to be delco and turbo, vz one tonner

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by zrossa »

Howdy six shooter,

Have you had a look at hybridz, I am sure i have seen you there. Nice job on using the delco. Just trying to figure all that out myself. Wont be running it on my z (383 sbc), but about to convert my old 635csi to turbo with delco control, and also converting my old race car to run a delco as well.

Keep us updated!

Douglas (AKA ZROSSA)
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by VL400 »

Nicely done, very tidy home brew EFI and turbo conversion!
User avatar
Six_Shooter
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:06 am
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by Six_Shooter »

Sorry for the delay on posting, I screwed up my file system on the HDD of my laptop, and had to start from scratch, there are still issues however. :x

Anyway, yes I have seen hybridz.org, for the most part, they just like to debate everything and can't see the truth through all the BS there. Some very simple concepts are completly ignored or thought of to be wrong, which is why I stopped posting there for over a year, and why I'll go back to not posting there again.

Thanks for the comments. It's been a lot of fun playing with it.

I'm in the middle of another EFI swap on another old vehicle, I'll make a seperate thread for it though.... ;)

Right now I'm looking at adding some bigger shoes under the Z, it really needs it. I'm looking at swapping to 5 bolt (Z31 front spindles), but can't find specific information on the "brake issue" when doing that swap.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by Holden202T »

bigger shoes in the rear is definately what you need for traction at the strip!! get that 60 foot time to a reasonable number!!

i recently went from 205 to 225 tyres and also went up slightly in diameter ... has made alot more difference to traction than i had expected it to!
VNracer34G
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:07 am
cars: VN V6 Production Saloon
Location: Gisborne NZ

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by VNracer34G »

Holden202 wrote:
i recently went from 205 to 225 tyres and also went up slightly in diameter ... has made alot more difference to traction than i had expected it to!
Was some of that traction increase due to the change in gearing from the increased height? How did it affect your trap speed RPM?
Build it, Race it, Break/Bend it ; Repeat.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Six_Shooter's "little" project v.240z

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i think both are contributing factors in the change ....

trap speed, that would require a drag strip to be somewhere local that i can use :P .... haven't run it down the strip, but i know its better take off cause i used to get wheel spin till about 40-50kms (2nd gear) before, whereas now i only get minor spin going into 2nd and full traction in 1st

its not that big of an increase, its only about 100-150rpm less at 100kms.