Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

Hi Guys,
have been reading up on this forum, some AWESOME info and exactly the folks I need to
maybe answer a question that has had me searching all over the internet for an answer.

Forgive my noob questions as I am new to these ECMs :oops:
I have a hilux with a v6 commodore 3.8L out of a VP (Def not ecotech, VP/VN series 2)
now I bought the whole thing as a 'kit' off a mate but its not running right at all.

Thing is, its a VP motor, but its not running the 808 ECM?? Its got an ecotech ECM?? :shock:
And to top it off I think its got the 4L60E aswell (large connector on side of box)
So would the VP motor run poorly on an ecotech ECU map?

The ecotech runs a MAF doesn't it? while the VP/VNs and 808 run a MAP from factory?
This would surely be wasy out, aswell as this I read on here that ecotech ECU will try to
run sequential injection not the VP/VN system?

Can I purchase an 808 with the USB interface etc and a remap off this site anywhere?
Please message back or PM me with information.

Thanks guys ANY help you can give me will be invaluable!


Cheers,
Bart
Last edited by Toyo Truck on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Holden202T »

firstly you need to tell us exactly which ecm it is cause it might be a VR auto pcm, so get a picture of the label or just post up the numbers on it so we can confirm what it is, from there we should be able to answer you question.
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Jayme »

also - please elaborate on 'not running right'? exactly what is it doing thats not right? and a pic of your engine to aid in identifying exactly which commodore its out of would be hellpfu
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your prompt replies.

OK Not running right the symptoms are these
Using waaaay too much fuel (like 20L/100kms of driving!! costs a FORTUNE to run)
Codes keep coming up "running Lean under load"
Gearbox shifts strange, beleive it to be a 4L60E (has large round connector on side/top of pan)
Truck in general feels very sluggish and "out of whack" driveability is not good until your
cruising at around 80 but putting foot down and dropping back a gear yeilds little response.

As for the setup
its a 1989 model hilux single cab-chassis ute
3.8L V6 out of what I beleive was a VP (photo will be up in 10 mins of motor to identify)
ECU is definately not an "1227808" or "808" I have identified it as being from VR/VS (photo soon)
Auto box must be 4L60E as its got no kickdown cable, and big plug on side
Auto box feeds into the transfer cases via marks adaptor (GM VSS in side of adaptor)

Photos are being uploaded now to imageshack...
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

Heres a few pics of the motor in the donor truck
Image
Image

Thanks again guys
blownvp
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by blownvp »

my guess is the engine and box is out of a vr which is map sensor based buick engine with the 4l60e auto.vr auto pcm service number 16176424 or police pcm 16195699.check all the fault code numbers and let us know what they are.could be a faulty sensor or damaged wiring.check the memcal in ecu to see if it is standard the memcal code on the ecu should match the memcal eg.blcb.check all chassis cables and connections are clean and tight and no vacuum leaks on hoses etc.cheers darren.
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Jayme »

also a big trouble of puttin v6's into hiluxes is the diff ratio. its set up for a 4cyl, it must rev at what? 3000 rpm doin 100k's? thats gonna cause a bit of fuel usage, esp since (in my opinion) the tune doesnt have real good spark map up at 3000 rpm cruising.
as for the ecu, you definitely dont have an ecotec ecu, as there is no MAF on the intake. the fact that the ign module says VR v6 auto on it suggests it probably just is a vr v6 (the vp and vr engines look almost identical). what sort of fuel pump does it have? fuel pressure issues can cause it to be sluggish and lean under load. can you put a fuel pressure guage on it?
ideally if you have an aldl cable to capture a log, that would be fantastic.
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by VK_3800 »

16183082 is one of the VR manual ECUs, only difference between this and an '808 is the high speed comms so its a drop-in replacement. I think possibly Holden may have used these as replacement parts, the otherwise standard VN (including tune) I bought as a donor vehicle for my VK had one.
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

OK blownvp,
Sorry mate I checked the ECU and it is actually 16176424 says "VR Commodore" on the label on the top of ECU.
So you rekon this is a VR motor, VR ECU, VR 4L60E?

Thing is my motor does not have a CAM Angle Sensor?? but the loom has the plug for a CAM angle sensor, its not
connected to anything just sitting there. The front of the block has a cast spot for the sensor, but its got a casting
over the top that plates it off (not removeable, would have to drill this casting out to fit sensor?)

I thought all VRs, especially autos, had a CAM and a Crank Angle Sensor?? Is this true?
Wouldn't this help explain the aditional fuel consumption?

The codes I pulled off the truck the other day (when it wouldnt start due to intermittant CAS problems) are these
12 - Normal (No RPM signal)
44 - Exhaust Lean Indication
46 - No Reference Pulses While Cranking
47 - 18X Reference signal Missing
48 - Camshaft?? Reference missing??
56 - Running Lean under load.
I am replacing the CAS as we speak to eliminate 46 and 47 as issues, but the Camshaft reference code is always there.

I don't know how I can be running "lean" yet still use 20L/100kms....something is way wrong here.

From what I see, I think I may have VP series 2 motor, VR ECU, VR Loom, VR 4L60E. Due to no CAM angle sensor?

What are your thoughts fellas?

Jayme,
I'm running 4.88:1 ratios, but I also run 35" tyres which takes it back to 4.1:1 roughly.
What ratio would you suggest running. I've heard with 4.3:1 ratio, the box never gets into 4th.
As for fuel pump, it runs a big Walbro in-line pump and a lift pump and a surge tank.

VK_3800,
Its a 16176424 ECM so is that a VR Auto ECM??
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Jayme »

yes yo have a VR auto pcm. it does sound like its a VP motor, and they are slightly different in the tune, a vp motor needs more timing and slightly different fuel map. do you find it has a small flat spot off idle? that happens with a VP motor on a VR tune.
box never getting into 4th doesnt sound right... what rpm do you do at 100k's?