Convert maf - map apparantly its easy?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Specops
cars: Daily - Turbocharged VS Ute
Project - Turbocharged VT track only

Convert maf - map apparantly its easy?

Post by Specops »

Ok as you all know im new here and on a scale of 1-10 my knowledge is -20 but ive been reading and learning up on everything i can and found this interesting post which if is possible would suit me a hell of alot. I have a ecotec turbo and have been advised that a map tune would be heaps better for me.

What im wondering is if it would be possible to eliminate the maf and wire in a map sensor in its place then change the maf paramaters to match that of a map sensor am i dreaming or would this be somehow possible?

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-p ... 5-map.html
Apples

Re: Convert maf - map apparantly its easy?

Post by Apples »

If you read the other forum they use a 165 which is a usa version of a 808 so its only possible on that ecm using the 808 code.

Converting anything else at the moment will require Kalmaker to do it. Or wait till if and when delcohacking has time to rewrite the later code. :mrgreen:
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
Specops

Post by Specops »

so it is possible but not for someone like me who cant code it right? I noticed a custom code bin for a ecotec in $12p could i put that on a nvram probably a dumb question but i really want to keep with the home grown theme on my kit. Would another alternative be getting a maf that reads higher and using that instead but just compensating the values?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes, you can put the $12p ecotec tune on an nvram, but its more suited to ecotec engine transplant to another car where the ecu only needs to worry about the engine.

No, there is no simple way to change the way the ecotec pcms work. If there was, we would have done it allready (beyond adding realtime support...) and it'd be well documented and in the faq. The barriers are technical and difficult to work around - most normal software development tools cant do whats needed. The only man who has been able to do it (and pleanty have tried) wrote kalmaker, and he had the advantage of previously working in GM powertrain engineering.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Specops

Post by Specops »

I see so with the $12p ecotec tune what else will I need to get it working in my car I think I read somewhere il need the vn knock sensor and a few other bits?
sprattzvx
cars: Vxl67
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

12p is map so it wont work mate, unless like antus said your putting an ecotec into an older car with an 808. example i will be using 12p on my l67 turbo conversion into a vn (808) using the ecotec 12p tune as a base. to convert to map based in a maf based setup YOUR ONLY OPTION IS KALMAKER. so, if you dont mind paying 660 for the realtime ecu, 330 for a security pal for each vehicle you tune plus 1000 for workshop to suit 1 model, and working with an old dos based laptop then go for it :lol:
but seriously, apparently once you master kal its great software.
Specops

Post by Specops »

Ok so no go what about the maf idea? Surely a big enough maf and a lot of hours tuning should be able to get a fairly good result?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

oh yeah, why didnt we think of thank? hahaha </sarcasm>
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Specops

Post by Specops »

Well excuse me for asking a effing question I did do a forum search and nothing came up if your not going to be helpful don't bother replying.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

the answers are in this thread. locked.