Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

When I say box doesnt get in to 4th thats my mate hilux with 4.3:1 ratios on 35" tyres.
I've got 4.88:1 ratios on 35"s which does get into 4th.
As for RPM, I have no tacho hooked up. Is there an easy way to do this from the ECU so I can tell you?

Not sure what you mean exactly about the flat spot off idle, I'll go and idle it now and see if I can tell.
It doesn't idle all that smoothly though little bit rough. Do you mean while accellerating off idle I'll feel the flat?

Would the VR map on a VP cause extra fuel consumption? maybe thats why this thing is a bit of a pig to drive.
It feels like everything is connected and working in the driveline, but the driveability and power of the motor is lacking :cry: .
How can I try a VP map on this ECU? Do you guys have a connector for these VR ECUs? or only the 808s?
I'm very interested to try it out.
Just to test...Could I plug in an 808 ECU and see how it runs (shifting the 4L60E manually from 2nd to 3rd to test power from the motor?)
blownvp
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by blownvp »

sounds like a vp engine with vr loom and auto.the big difference between vp and vr was vp 8.5 to 1 compression ratio and i think vr was around 9 to 1 compression ratio.vp engine will probably need a more aggressive advance map i dont think an 808 will plug in pinouts and wiring and keyed different.probably best option if you want to keep electronic auto would be to remap vr 424 ecu to suit vp engine.only problem is no cam angle sensor.only thing cam angle sensor does is allow the injectors to fire in group fire mode 3 injectors 1 rev the other 3 on the next rev.without that it will be running batch fire the whole six injectors every revolution.vr autos do have a cam angle sensor.if it thinks its running lean the stft and ltft will add fuel to correct it but is sounds like its adding to much fuel.is the memcal factory.could be a false lean condition is it misfiring.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Holden202T »

if your going to have the ballancer and CAS off why not go a bit further and get a vr timing cover from the wreckers with a sensor in it and the pickup button that goes in the cam ?

it definately sounds like you have a bit of work to do to clear all the DTCS ......

i reckon it shouldn't be too hard to put the VP VE and spark maps into the VR tune which might fix some of your issues, but i think you also really need to get an interface to allow you to scan while driving, that will go along way to showing what the fueling and such is doing.
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

blownvp,
truck is not misfiring that I can tell but your diagnosis sounds like the issue to me. especially the over fuelling part.
would the batch fire injection cause more fuel consumption than sequential injection as you describe.

Holden202,
Mate I wish I''d read your post earlier as I've already fitted the new CAS (starts a dream now)
And now I only pull 44 - running lean and 48 - Cam angle sensor missing occaisionally. So maybe the CAS was also causing
issues with running too?
Do you guys have an interface to these newer VR ecus? I thought you only did the 808s from what I've read?
If so I'd love to hook up an interface (if you can teach me how to do this) and see whats going on in its head... that would be EPIC!

So you guys reckon I can re-map this VR ECU to suit VP engine. That will change to a more agressive advance map.
Wll that make it run better? use less fuel? (sorry I'm still new to this level of tuning).
But will I still get the 48 code due to the loom having a plug thats not connected?

OK to cancel out the loom issues...
I was seriously considering changing to a manual gearbox down the track, and I think I have a TH700 in the garage somewhere.
so in your guys opinion would I be better off fitting that TH700 auto to the motor, and getting a VP loom and ECU?
Would this upgrade to the VP loom and ECU (808 right) allow me to easily step to a manual down the track? arnt auto and man VP loom + ecu the same?
NOTE: TH700 is a much better gearbox for 4WDing as the electric shift can cause troubles and are a little weaker so would rather go the TH700

OR

Should I keep the 4L60E and remap the ECU I have now and ignore the 48 code (I'm presuming the 44 - lean exhaust code will be gone)
this is the obvious easier option by far, but question is will a re-map VR ECU on a VR loom connected to a VP motor run as well as option above
with correct loom, ECU and older box?
Plus a big con here (please correct me if wrong) I cannot easily convert to manual on a VR ECU and loom as it incorporates the auto box right?
where as the VP loom is not connected to the box?

Thanks so much guys. Its refreshing to talk to folk who genuinely know what they are talking about with the great mysteries of auto wiring and ECUs!

Cheers.
Bart
blownvp
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by blownvp »

yes the batch fire could cause excess fueling.vr manual different loom and ecu to auto.bit more work but i would probably go the 4l60 (th700) box then you can run a vp loom and 808 ecu and standard vp v6 tune and easy to convert to manual down the track.only thing electric in the 4l60 is the lock up convertor solenoid and temp switch for lockup thats if you use the lockup. all the shifts are hydrolic.vp manual and auto ecus are the same 808 just the memcals slighly different.decel fuel cutoff map sensor setting different.vp use only one oxygen sensor normaly 2 wire on passenger bank.cheers darren.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i agree, if not too hard i'd go hydraulic T700 and 808/vn/vp loom.... you can then use $12P code for tuning and that opens up alot more avenues down the track.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by VL400 »

Toyo Truck wrote:Do you guys have an interface to these newer VR ecus? I thought you only did the 808s from what I've read?
If so I'd love to hook up an interface (if you can teach me how to do this) and see whats going on in its head... that would be EPIC!
We sure do :thumbup:
RS232 - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=396
USB - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164
Or USB over the vehicle data port if you have it - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=622

Can log your PCM showing engine and trans data .. download TunerPro V5 RT (http://www.tunerpro.net/) and the file called "VR_$11_v1.04-tp5.zip" from here https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29

Lots of info here for making changes to the PCM .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=634
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

Hi guys,
Sorry have been really busy lately with work. Been meaning to get on here and respond!

OK so maybe this is the cause of my issues (running a VP on a VR ECM)
it certainly sounds like the case. I guess the batch firing alone would be wasting a hell of alot of fuel if the motor is not doing anything with it.
How can i definately tell this is a VP motor though? like did all the VRs with 4L60E have a cam sensor?
from what I've read the cam sensor is pretty instrumental in injector sequencing? so this would be more wasted fuel.
Happy to convert to 808 and 4L60(TH700) just want to make sure cause if I start swapping the loom over and ecu will it definately work?

I guess that leads me to VL400's post.
I need to probably log the VR ECU first and see whats happening with that right? Will that tell us 100% what the issue(s) are with the motor
and drivability and costing me a FORTUNE to run my truck. :thumbdown:
This way I'll know what the issue is straight away and be confident in spending the $$ neccessary to fix it once and for all.
...then start tuning it. I've always wanted to do this!

So I've downloaded TunerPro RT as instructed.
I've downloaded VR_$11_v1.04-tp5.zip (BTW what is this code? is that for a VR ECU running a VP motor?)
Now I guess I need a USB interface (I don't have a vehicle data port inside the car) how do you actually connect it to the ECU board? solder or connector?
then I plug this into the USB on a laptop, run Tunerpro on the laptop to map the codes? sounds very cool :punk:

Do I drive with the laptop and tunerpro RT running, then stop and check the Tunerpro GUI for the information?
Or does it log realtime (so cool if it did)?
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by VL400 »

Toyo Truck wrote:Hi guys,
Sorry have been really busy lately with work. Been meaning to get on here and respond!

OK so maybe this is the cause of my issues (running a VP on a VR ECM)
it certainly sounds like the case. I guess the batch firing alone would be wasting a hell of alot of fuel if the motor is not doing anything with it.
How can i definately tell this is a VP motor though? like did all the VRs with 4L60E have a cam sensor?
from what I've read the cam sensor is pretty instrumental in injector sequencing? so this would be more wasted fuel.
Happy to convert to 808 and 4L60(TH700) just want to make sure cause if I start swapping the loom over and ecu will it definately work?
Batch injection or banked injection will use the same amount of fuel. AFAIK all VR auto engines had a cam sensor, the manuals didnt though.
Toyo Truck wrote: I guess that leads me to VL400's post.
I need to probably log the VR ECU first and see whats happening with that right? Will that tell us 100% what the issue(s) are with the motor
and drivability and costing me a FORTUNE to run my truck. :thumbdown:
This way I'll know what the issue is straight away and be confident in spending the $$ neccessary to fix it once and for all.
...then start tuning it. I've always wanted to do this!
Youy can learn a heap being able to connect the laptop up, even for fault finding down the track its very helpful to see what is going on before buying parts.
Toyo Truck wrote: So I've downloaded TunerPro RT as instructed.
I've downloaded VR_$11_v1.04-tp5.zip (BTW what is this code? is that for a VR ECU running a VP motor?)
VR_$11_v1.04-tp5.zip is VR commodore, $11 is the type of code running in your PCM and then the version of this ADX.
Toyo Truck wrote: Now I guess I need a USB interface (I don't have a vehicle data port inside the car) how do you actually connect it to the ECU board? solder or connector?
then I plug this into the USB on a laptop, run Tunerpro on the laptop to map the codes? sounds very cool :punk:
The USB that solders inside has 2 wires to connect to the PCM PCB. If you have a reasonable soldering iron and done some PCB work its pretty easy. You then mount the board in the case with the provided screws. I can fit it all for you if you want though.
Toyo Truck wrote: Do I drive with the laptop and tunerpro RT running, then stop and check the Tunerpro GUI for the information?
Or does it log realtime (so cool if it did)?
TP can log as you drive, so you just connect it all up, hit connect and then record and go for a drive. Some instructions are here .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... 23&p=21667
blownvp
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16183082 ECM

Post by blownvp »

batch fire set up properly wont use excessive fuel.what i meant is the vr auto normally uses group fire so now because of the missing cam signal its resorted to batch fire as a backup and its not mapped to run in that mode permantly.all vr auto engines had a cam angle sensor.sorry about the confusion.