Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
kojab
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
Location: Sydney

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Post by kojab »

Jayme wrote:
Toyo Truck wrote:Hey guys
-we checked fuel pressure which is 90 psi odd at the pump which is adequate.
90 psi :shock: shouldnt be much more than 42....... return line blocked?
Good thinking Jayme.

The 90 psi was measured directly at the outlet of the pump so with no flow . No reg or line was attached. It was just a quick test to make sure the fuel pump had some ability to pump fuel. I have had on several occasions where you could hold back the pressure with just your thumb. Will be checking fuel pressure at rail on next occasion.


The engine felt as thou it was running very lean so 20 steps were added to the injector base value and it immediately felt stronger.

Without a wideband attached and a suspected faulty O2 sensor it is very difficult to diagnose the current A/F ratios. Toyo Truck is having a wideband bung fitted along with a new O2 sensor.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i agree, pissing into the wind without a wideband reading!

black plugs is pretty self explainatory though!
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

yeah i'm trying to organise a bung to be put in so dick can fit his wideband sensor.
then we can really see whats happening.

I'm so relieved to know what the issue is now with both the motor underfueling
aswell as the vss reading being way out which is causing issues withthe gbox shifts.

I want to thank Dick for his excellent work and all you other blokes on here for the ow hookup
and for opening my eyes to the world of ecu tuning. I at least now understand what they do
how they work and most importantly how to modify them :twisted:

Once I get this motor sorted this truck will be a beast. Over the last 10 years I've been slowly
building it up and its taken me to some crazy places over hundreds of weekend getaways
I cant wait to drive it with the full 140kw odd of power, and now I'm finally starting to realise this.

thanks everyone for your help thus far!
Maybe i'll organise a 4wd trip somewhere once its up and running 100% if a few of you guys have
4wd wagons to fit everyone in. would be good to meet you all and have a BBQ on stockton beach or something :punk: to celebrate finally after a full year getting this thing up to full potential.
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

OK Guys,

After heading on down to see Dick, with the Wideband bung fitted and a new O2 sensor from Holden,
Dick managed to sort my issues out 100%.

Truck now uses 12L/100kms
Is HEAPS more powerful
and changes gears as if it were a sedan on 15" tyres.

He ended up using a Police spec tune for the 3.8L and then made changes to this build to suit my VP/VR combination.
He also sorted out the gear-shifts aswell so now it smoothly shifts thru the gears and doesnt flare at all.

REALLY REALLY happy with the outcome.
As you can tell, the hilux is much happier now...
Image
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Post by Holden202T »

good to hear mate! now all there is left to do is enjoy it! :punk:
Toyo Truck
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am
cars: RN106 Hilux 4WD with 3.8L V6 conversion.

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Post by Toyo Truck »

yeah mate
just fitted a new 16" thermo today and now that the ecu is making the fan kick in about 10deg
earlier makes for a much cooler running motor.

will be refitting air compressor and air lockers then I'll fit the 35" tyres back on and see how it drives.

thanks for ya help though!

Now that I've learnt a bit about these ecus was thinking of a few ideas which I'll need your help with
so I'm sorta glad I resear ched and after seeing what can be done with these ecus the mind boggles!

mainly I want to run a screen (small laptop) and have the realtime data there to see
will save space in my small cab for dials and guages. showing engine temp, gbox temp, voltage,
a/f ratio, error codes in realtime sorta like with a MoTEC hand-held lcd display but on a laptop.

Dick also showed me that I have the VR under dash connector and he connected his ecu to this to get
the data so am all good for a connection there from what I could see.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! VP/VN motor running on 16176424 ECM

Post by Holden202T »

go and have a look at VL400's data logger, might do what you need in a more compact package than trying to get a laptop setup all the time!