Serial to USB converter
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Serial to USB converter
I'm after a USB to Serial converter to use with my LM-1 afr meter. There are plenty to choose from $2 to over $100. Can someone suggest a preferred one, so that I don't get a dud one. Thanks
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Serial to USB converter
I recommend anything with an FTDI chipset.
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: Serial to USB converter
The cheap Prolific PL2302 clones work fine for me for most applications, they're the translucent blue ones with silver cables on ebay for a dollar or two (I think I payed $1.50 each for the last batch I bought).
But they can't send break signals - this isn't a problem for normal uses though. Genuine Prolific chips don't have that problem, but every ebay seller will tell you theirs are genuine
FTDI based cables are better, but start around $15.
But they can't send break signals - this isn't a problem for normal uses though. Genuine Prolific chips don't have that problem, but every ebay seller will tell you theirs are genuine
FTDI based cables are better, but start around $15.