VN SS T5

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
creesy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 am
cars: VN SS T5

VN SS T5

Post by creesy »

G'day guys,

To cut a long story short I fried the Delco 808 ECU in my VN SS 5L manual completely melted pin a12 and the smaller connector plug. The ecu had been replaced once before with a v6 one (auto or manual I'm not sure)

So I went to the wreckers hoping to find a v8 manual but couldn't get one so I got another one with the same service number out of a v6 auto with the plugs attached so I could rewire the broken plug does that mean it's the same as the one I fried?

I swapped the memcals over

I soldered/joined each wire being careful that not just the colours matched up but the pin positions in the plug all the colours matched except one the power wire I'm assuming the larger gauge wire orange from memory I joined that to the cars red one which was in the same pin position. I had one wire left over have I missed something or has it got something to do with me have a manual and plugs coming from an auto??

The car started but had erratic idle and was hunting for revs ... Went for a quick spin performance seemed to be ok but I was getting really bad backfire and revs dropping to basically nothing when I clutched in and come to a stop.

Did I quick check of the faults I think the first one thrown out was speedo sensor circuit (24) but the speedo is working fine. I am going to take a video of the flashing sequences and put in on YouTube to make sure I'm interpreting it right.

Anyone got any ideas for me?
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: VN SS T5

Post by Dazza92VP »

what colour was the wire left over if it was brown and yellow its the vss signal to pin a10 to the ecm if its not recieving a signal at all it maybe causing your problems
creesy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 am
cars: VN SS T5

Re: VN SS T5

Post by creesy »

Pretty certain it wasn't brown...all wires from the cars loom are connected ... the one wire left on the plug from the wreckers is not used/vacant from the original plug... I'm at work ATM but as soon as I'm home ill post the wire colour and a video of the fault codes.

Because I fried the ecu would the memcal still be alright?

Also is there a wiring diagram showing what pin/color is what on the ecu plug?

Can the ecu be identified from the service number at all?
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: VN SS T5

Post by Dazza92VP »

ah ok thought it was the original side of the loom http://www.memcals.com/rcc_info_wiring.html has some wiring diagrams the memcal should be alright
the ecm you've got is correct i'll do the same as the old
creesy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 am
cars: VN SS T5

Re: VN SS T5

Post by creesy »

Ok got home checked which wires werent connected from the plug there was 2
White with pink/red?? Stripe pin B11 on the plug (knock sensor)?? There was no wire in B11 on the original plug.
Brown with white stripe pin b2 brake failure light??

service number on the ecu is 01227808

I'm really out of ideas if the speed Speed sensor code was genuine wouldn't the speedo not work?

I checked the fault codes again it does code 24 3 times pauses then does code 24 again for another 3 times...that means its the only code???

Is there anyway the speed sensor could cause the backfiring etc?
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: VN SS T5

Post by Dazza92VP »

your right with b11 thats the knock sensor thats not needed cause you wont have one the other wire is your cel light which is obviously working other wise you wouldnt get codes out

yea thats the correct ecm that'll do the job
the speedo is not run off the ecm is its own little unit but there is a signal wire from the vss to the ecm pin a10 check that the plugs female pin has the correct tension on it eg the male pin is not going to flop around inside the female one if it has the correct tension your going to have to start checking the loom to make sure it hasnt burnt anywere else
if its repeating the same code over and over again its only one code in there
and yes if there is no speedo signal to the ecm the decel fuel cut off wont work and the ecm just over fuels it to stop it leaning out causing it to backfire
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VN SS T5

Post by antus »

Just out of curiosity, why did you rewire the connectors? Did it not fit for some reason? You should have only needed to swap the memcal to the new 808, and plug the new ecu in.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
charlay86
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 am
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: VN SS T5

Post by charlay86 »

I think this may have been why
creesy wrote: completely melted pin a12 and the smaller connector plug.
:wtf:
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VN SS T5

Post by antus »

Ahh missed that :) Yep, that'd explain it!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
creesy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 am
cars: VN SS T5

Re: VN SS T5

Post by creesy »

Thanks for all the replies got it working correctly..

Steps I took were unplug the 808 took the memcal out cleaned the connections pushed it back in nice and snug put the PCM back in and made sure the plugs were secure cleared the codes...went for a drive it was 100% better even better then with the old PCM ... Got it back home and checked for codes got a code 12 so all good...

Another question does anyone have a tune for a crane blueracer 218@50 .472 lift cam?