Raising compression affect tune?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Raising compression affect tune?

Post by Dylan »

Thanks for the reply's guys, as one day i would like to stroke it i guess should stay away from decking the block this time incase it ends up to short for a stroker combo? I guess i'll just stick with a quick freshen up for now.

Anyone had experience with thinner head gaskits?
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

having a lower dec hight wont affect a stroker kit the overall crank throw plus conrod length still comes to the same length as the standard but what is changed is the crank has a longer throw on it and the rods are shorter therefore allowing the piston to travel further down the block and giving better leveage against the crankshaft
VNracer34G
cars: VN V6 Production Saloon

Post by VNracer34G »

darcy wrote:With a 288 installed straight up; 10.8SCR only netts 8.0DCR in a 304 - this should still be plenty ok on pump gas.
Good point.
Do KNOW that you have 10.5:1 ? Measure and do the math first. I recall seeing a lot of 304 blocks, heads & intakes sent by a Holden dealer for 0.040" off the decks and they were going in road cars on our crap NZ pump gas - when the VN was the current model (sheesh i gettin old ;) )

Decking the block rather than heads for compression is far better in a N/A motor for the squish - just remember that the heads will be getting closer together so the intake faces will need machining too
Build it, Race it, Break/Bend it ; Repeat.