vs pcm, unknown, sale swap or define

Hardware and Software. If you have something to sell, post it here.
Mahse
cars: Vh slx,
Vn sv3800,
Au falcon,

vs pcm, unknown, sale swap or define

Post by Mahse »

\\\Hey all,
i have a vs tunable ecu with a dallas 100 nano ram chip, really dont know too much about the hardware of it, was told it has built in flash, but unsure
id like to be able to either send to someone and get definitive answers, (will pay) and to then see if i can use any conmponents in a 808. or failing that will sell for best offer or swap for upgrade chips for 808,
any input or offers will be appreciated.
also i work at a holden/Nissan/mazda/scania/isuzu/volvo dealership, maybe helpful in finding cheaper parts for people,
mick
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: vs pcm, unknown, sale swap or define

Post by antus »

Ok, just to clarify the terminology any what you have here.

You have as VS realtime kit, which is the 'non genuine' product from ebay. I wont even say its a clone, as it is not. Its the cheapest way you can build anything that has any chance of working :thumbdown: There is no flash in these kits - genuine or not - the chip is an nvram (NonVolatile RAM) which means the ecu can save changes back to it on the fly (realtime) and it has an internal battery so it retains the data even when the car is off. In your case its a dallas DS1245Y-100 which means 1mbit of data (128kb) and with a speed of 100 nanoseconds (the slow end of the scale, but should still work). Its directly soldered in to a memcal, so there is no write protect jumper to protect it when you remove it, and its not easily swapped to something that fits an 808 due to the solder. Technically its possible to desolder it, but at a risk of damaging the nvram with the heat required to remove it from the memcal. Its also possibly not a genuine dallas chip - cheap clones are common, but I will try and confirm that so I can say for sure. If its not genuine, you can get one the same that may or may not work and for anyones guess how long for about $8 on ebay, thus its not even worth trying. I would not do this though, its not worth the effort.

I would suggest that you get some genuine delcohacking.net hardware from vl400 for your '808:

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=14&t=167
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=14&t=164

Its the faster 70nanosecond chip, and is guaranteed to be a genuine dallas chip and working. It also has a write protect jumper which you can remove when inserting and removing it from the ecu which can protect against accidental erasure. It also has a high/low bank jumper so you can have 2 tunes on the one chip. And in the case of the '808 there are jumpers for 4/6/8 cylinder support.

I would also suggest you get a gq-4x 'true usb' willem programmer from mcumall.com . This will allow you to re-write the entire chip should something happen to it where it no longer boots up in the car (accidental erasure, which is not too common but will probably happen at some stage during your tuning - usually from hot unplugging it with the write protect jumper not set to protect, or an accidental short when knocking something around, or uploading a tune for a completely different chip by accident which can break the aldl support among others).

good luck!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Mahse
Vn sv3800,
Au falcon,

Post by Mahse »

Thanks mate, your knowledge is very appreciated, sorry u had to spell it out for me but thanks.
. I was told it wad genuine off of here, but Like u say its the cheap copy and then redirect to this page for help, I will def buy from this site in future, do u know if vl400 takes paypal?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

No probs, the low quality products getting around are a recent problem. We try to help all, but put a lot of man hours in to this as a hobby and have to draw the line somewhere.

I think VL400 does take paypal, but you can send him a PM through one of his for sale threads to arrange it. I run the forums here, but those products are his.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Thanks for the very detailed post antus, sums up the major differences very well. The ds1245 I use are also industrial temp rated, which is required for in cabin automotive use.

I will send you a pm mahse, I do have PayPal.
Mahse
Vn sv3800,
Au falcon,

Post by Mahse »

Thanks heaps guys, and in case no one else had the respect to say it, I appreciate what goes on here, I bet you have answered same questions over and over, but still provide rapid response and no flak, cheers