Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Roosterinwa
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am
cars: Vy v6 '03 crewman

Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by Roosterinwa »

Hey guys... My name is dale, and am now at my witz end with my baby...
I own a vy v6 10/03 crewman.
I have fitted a stage 2 comp cam, oversized throttle body, CAI, plenum and
manifold risers/insulators, with a remapped ecu to suit all mods and tuned
for 95ron fuel.. Thanks to Steve at Mace Engineering... :)

My issue is this... I have a consistent knock sensor fault which inturn
switches my car into limp home mode...
It is intensely frustrating trying to fix and fine tune...
I do have access to a dyno but my mechanic is somewhat new at the whole
reflashing ecu's... (I have been dabbling a bit in it myself... But having a
little trouble)
I was looking into either an aftermarket ecu or some sort of piggyback sutuation... So
I can do self/live tuning.
I have been told that a piggyback will not change some things but my ecu has
already been modded to have the +5 deg across the plane for fuel type, shift
pressures and shift points have been adjusted to suit cam as well as changing settings to accommodate
Any shifting errors with 4L60E..
While car is not in limp mode the car goes like a scalded cat but the dreaded
Knock sensor rears its ugly head (cannot pinpoint what triggers the sensor)

But... While looking at the live dash in tunerpro 5 via aldl in did notice if I slowly
Brought the revs up to about 2700-3000 revs the timing advanced up to nearly 39deg...
It idles at about 18deg and dances around there up and down a deg or two...

Hope this info helps


Dale :driving:
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Not sure why you want to run a piggy back ECU, why aren't you just fixing your knock sensor issue?
Roosterinwa
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am
cars: Vy v6 '03 crewman

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by Roosterinwa »

Thanks for replying so quickly...
You see... I have been trying to resolve the knock sensor issue.

I have replaced both, and still getting the same fault...

My trouble is that the last few I have taken it to just tells me "yup knock sensor"

I'm just hoping its not an ecu reprogramming fault that is forcing the fault to occur.

I am sorry, I am very new to car modding and tuning.

Mechanically I have no problems pulling anything apart..

I've been a mechanical fitter the last 20 years.. But now find myself struggling tuning wise

Dale
:driving:
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I know Steve doesn't ask for PCM's as change over so if you just try by putting your PCM back in does it still have the knock sensor issue?

There is 2 completely different calibration types for VY what month year is yours?
Roosterinwa
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am
cars: Vy v6 '03 crewman

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by Roosterinwa »

The month build is 10/03... When I refit the old ecu there is no fault...
Am I able to use the get cal function on the ose flash tool from my factory ecu and write cal to another ecu?
I do have a few spare ecu's incase I brickem..
I have been successful in cloning my new ecu to one of the spare ones but did not know about the cal file.. :-( feel stupid

Any tips on flashing would be fantastic...
I have been scouring your site and without your site I'd be stuffed and not even be able to connect to my car!!!

Delcohacking rocks
:punk:
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by VL400 »

Can you get a log (preferably showing when the fault code appears) and post the bin/cal for it? Might help diagnose further. The knock sensing on later models is pretty complex.
Roosterinwa
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am
cars: Vy v6 '03 crewman

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by Roosterinwa »

I will give it a good go ;)

I will set it up for my drive home from work...
And attempt to upload ASAP...
The fault presents itself usually the second time I take off..

Can my auto screw around with it... ???
It has a B&M stage 2 shift improving kit installed...
(I know shift pressures and shift points are modified on the remapped ecu, could they be conflicting and make it knock??? :wtf:
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by engybenjy »

Hi haven't done a lot of efi tuning myself but if it is going into limp home does the computer think the sensor has failed entirely?
I have a snapon scan tool and i think if your car logged a code it stores all the information as to what was taking place so that you can view the timing, rpm, map etc and see what took place at that particular time. so avoid clearing the fault. See if someone has a snapon MODIS or VERUS in your area and that may help find the area you need to change in your mapping or identify another issue altogether. hope that helps
Ben
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Seems strange, if the early-mid 2004 calibration has been used in it it could do it, but I actually tried the later cal in my 03 VY & it didn't even fault out at all!

I don't think it's the tune as I know there a pretty board file used for the similar model's, but yeah I wouldn't have even thought a knock sensor would make it go to limp home unless there's another issue with the tune?

I know I'm contradicting myself there but if the original PCM doesn't have the knock sensor fault then it must be the calibration type?

Other PCM's won't work unless you can link them or have VATS disabled in them!
Roosterinwa
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am
cars: Vy v6 '03 crewman

Re: Vy v6 I'm so close but so far

Post by Roosterinwa »

Ben, cheers mate, will look into that avenue as well...

Hopefully if I can get an accurate log of it when the code comes on, I'm hoping tunerpro will also do the same as ur snapon tool and give me a list of everything happening at the time of fault..

I have yet to do an continuity test from plug of the knock sensors to make sure there is no broken wires... (Prob something I should have tested first)
U guys happen to know what pins run the knock sensors?

:driving: