its sad that we live in a world where even simple micro chip people are trying to shaft you.
guess I'll be contacting VL400 then.
VY ecotec in VP. Options?
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
Will be sorting out the stuff with VL400 soon.
Got a T5 bell-housing and VT auto brackets and sorting out the fitment, so got some progress.
got a question, its the ecotec IAC the same as pre ecotec?
And I have another one regarding the stock wiring on the 808. why is the oil pressure switch wired to the fuel pump relay? I can't quite work out what its for?
I had a few oil pressure switch failures mid driving with the oil light coming on and car still ran, so I don't think its and safety cutout. I also have this unplugged on my VP project as the plug is broken, still no electrical effect?
Got a T5 bell-housing and VT auto brackets and sorting out the fitment, so got some progress.
got a question, its the ecotec IAC the same as pre ecotec?
And I have another one regarding the stock wiring on the 808. why is the oil pressure switch wired to the fuel pump relay? I can't quite work out what its for?
I had a few oil pressure switch failures mid driving with the oil light coming on and car still ran, so I don't think its and safety cutout. I also have this unplugged on my VP project as the plug is broken, still no electrical effect?
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
the IAC is the same, its the tps thats different (butterfly opens the opposite way)
the oil pressure switch is for limp home mode... if the computer fails to activate the fuel pump relay, then once the engine has oil pressure, that directly powers the fuel pump instead.
the oil pressure switch is for limp home mode... if the computer fails to activate the fuel pump relay, then once the engine has oil pressure, that directly powers the fuel pump instead.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
ah ok, yeah I looked at the diagram, the oil switch bypasses the fuel pump relay.
I guess that explains the why my pump will continue to run sometimes almost a min after switching the engine off. Must be because it is holding oil pressure for some time.
I guess that explains the why my pump will continue to run sometimes almost a min after switching the engine off. Must be because it is holding oil pressure for some time.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
yep thats right. 1 minute is a long time though!! 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
not sure if it does it that long anymore, its got 180,000km on the engine now. back at less than 100,000 it would build oil pressure literally the instant it cranked and would put out the oil light fraction before it even fired. The oil light hangs around for a sec or 2 now after starting.
that might be a good trick to test these cars before you buy them.
that might be a good trick to test these cars before you buy them.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
Whats the legalities with using the older 808 on ecotec from rego point of view?
I know I can register with the stock engine first then transplant the ecotec later but is it easy to get an engineering cert with this kind of conversion? briefly talked to an engineer a while back and the consensus was it wasn't recommended.
VL400, I'll fix you up the payment for the gear tonight.
Cheers
I know I can register with the stock engine first then transplant the ecotec later but is it easy to get an engineering cert with this kind of conversion? briefly talked to an engineer a while back and the consensus was it wasn't recommended.
VL400, I'll fix you up the payment for the gear tonight.
Cheers
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
Put the 808 in a VY PCM case?
You might have to retain all the emission gear from the donor, which would include the PCM - need to discuss that with the engineer. Not sure how many could pick the 808 vs VY PCM though. If you have to pass an emission test it might be a different story.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
when i did the ecotec engineering in the torana the engineer said, use the stock motor/pcm/inlet air box etc and it will be the same as the commodore and hense not need emisions check, but change stuff and it will.
that said i very much doubt most would be able to tell its not the factory one, nor would they probably look.
if they do just claim "its exactly as i got it from the donor car sir"
that said i very much doubt most would be able to tell its not the factory one, nor would they probably look.
if they do just claim "its exactly as i got it from the donor car sir"
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?
Wow you guys have it tough in some areas, I would have thought as long as the sniffer up the exhaust is happy then they wouldn't care if the ECM has been changed (still requiring cert of course).
The custom program is newer, would that put it into the aftermarket upgrade category...?
The custom program is newer, would that put it into the aftermarket upgrade category...?