VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

doesn't it depend on the engineer as well?

I know with air cooled vw people do all kinds of dodgy stuff and the engineers pass it?


also according to the modified vehicle guide lines documents is says the it ok to install a different engine as long as its not bigger or more powerful than 20% of the original and must be of the same of similar design and will not require engineer cert. It mentions nothing about ECUs or emission controls as far as I remember.


What I am thinking might be possible, is if I rego the car with old engine then later change it to the ecotec and go to vic roads and claim a change of engine number. if they point out its a VY engine I'll just point out its the same size and bolted straight in because I needed a replacement engine.

when I changed an engine last time the paper work was very suggestive of this ^

interestingly my insurance which is Shannons is very open to these sorts of mods without really requiring any paper work. I just mentioned my mods on my daily and they said "yep that fine", any paper work needed? "nope" my engine number doesn't match, "as long as its pretty much the same it does matter for us to insure you"

lol
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Holden202T »

yeah that should be right, when we upgraded my wifes 186 to a 202 it was the same didn't need cert cause it bolted straight in and was within the size limits.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I recon it should be fine. I will ask vicroads about it.

I know of people that have used AU engines in EA-ED and had not a problem.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

Ok my stuff should arrive sometime soonish, how I am looking at making/modifying a wiring loom to suit the conversion.


where can I buy new plugs for to suit all the sensors and stuff?


I have assortment of plugs and looms I can harvest but all of them have brittle wires from heat over the years. I just want to start fresh and rebuilt and customize a loom.

anyone know where I can get the plugs? plugs for oil pressure switch, MAT, TPS, knock etc...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Holden202T »

you can get most you need from here:

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx

big job though!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

Awesome! found most of the plugs in few min, looks like they have pigtails too, even better!

big job? not really, I have the engine sitting on a pallet atm and looking at making a test bed for it.

I find the wiring on a conversion the easiest part imho, time consuming yes but certainly not hard. I have an electronics background.
Last edited by vlad01 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Holden202T »

i only mean big job compared to re-routing a vn v6 loom :P
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

got to be done anyway, need heated o2 and the canister purge wired in.

the wire insulation nearly always breaks when moving the plugs about, the harness is like crap too. I have had the connecto locking tabs break too from being brittle. Especially the oil switch one and also had the mat one break.

I was lucky with my daily driver as the engine sat for 12 years with only 80,000 odd ks and the was clipped at the sensors leaving a pigtail for all the sensors so I was able to use them to make a nice loom.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

a question about the TPS, I just swap the 5v and GND wires around so the signal ramps the correct way for the ECU to read?

Making a order for all the pigtail on the loom from those guys ^ took pics for them so they can get my order right and found 90% of the connectors were broken or the wires insulation snapped on both the VP and the VY loom :shock:

the other daily driver VP has them all good still but I can't harvest that because I dive that for work lol
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Jayme »

dont need to do anything about the tps. the ecotec tps unit is physically backwards from the buick one but you can plug a vp loom straight onto a ecotec throttle body and itll still read correctly as is. its just the tps itself thats different.