how do you get rid of closed loop?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

how do you get rid of closed loop?

Post by engybenjy »

Ok so I have had a crack at tuning a VN 5.0 stroked to 355 on Monday and I believe the full throttle stuff is going good but I noticed that I am battling the closed loop mode at all the light throttle stuff so I am wondering is it ok to set the min and max BLM's to 1 so that it can't self learn untill I get my tables where I want and then turn them back on? if not what is the easiest way to switch off the closed loop. I have the engine on a dyno and am using the tunercat software but I have the tunerpro as well and LM2 data logger as well as the dyno's own logging arangement. (Mainline)
thanks Ben
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: how do you get rid of closed loop?

Post by antus »

Well for $12P in tuner pro i'd set the scalars "Closed Loop Params - Closed Loop minimum coolant temperature" and "Closed Loop Params - Closed Loop minimum coolant temperature While Idling" to the maximum temp so they never come on (151 degrees C). Just remember to turn them back on when your done tuning to save some fuel.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

Re: how do you get rid of closed loop?

Post by engybenjy »

Looking at the Bin in tunerpro the strategy I am using is $5D ....yep so I have found that function which is set at 44 degrees so if I set that how you have described then I should be ok and like you said turn it back on when finished. thanks heaps
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

Re: how do you get rid of closed loop?

Post by engybenjy »

For those interested I have attached the tune I ended up with for this engine, turning off the closed loop side of things worked great. I did have a lot of trouble with the idle side of things and had to work around it a bit. Can anyone point me in the right direction for idle tuning methods etc. for stroker engines or larger cams that would be appreciated. I will try and post a picture of the dyno sheet but for those interested it made 423 ft lb and 343 hp with a .222/.222 cam and 10 to 1 comp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.