My friends VY V6 just shat it self last week. Mid drive it just lost power and ran like a bucket of bolts and could not idle at all. seemed like it was running on 2 cylinders.
Anyway we proceeded with general checks and thought it was ignition, checked leads measured fine. removed each plug to see it fire still fine?
Checked all the injector resistance, measured all at 12.5 ohms. Isolated one injector at a time to see no real noticeable change in the way it ran.
So I concluded the fuel side of stuff was fine. back to the ignition we went ahead and got new leads and plugs as the leads were thought to be originals at 350,000km old, just to be sure as you never know. I had a feeling it was mechanical though.
after my friends changed the leads and plugs and made no difference I had a little think about how it ran, rough as can be and chuffing air at the intake. I considered that it has mace 1.9:1 rockers, I put my bets on a broken valve spring.
He decided on a new engine before it even died as it was getting tired anyway, but it was a week after that we got around to getting another engine and before we even looked under the rocker covers either.
sure enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyz4hKl ... e=youtu.be
pretty damn good diagnostic I must say.
well there's your problem.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: well there's your problem.
thats all mace rockers are good at LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: well there's your problem.
well, I warned him to change all the springs to new ones when installing the rockers as the engine already had 240,000 on the clock , so I knew they would break sooner or later since the springs are "worn in" to the standard ratio well and truly by by that many ks. Did well considering.
they did certainly make the car accelerate better until the engine slowly got clapped out. it was amazing to hear the difference between the 148k engine and the old 350k one before the spring broke.
Test run yesterday got average of 6.5l/100 on the highway. I thought that was impossible, much better than what it was when he bought the car.
we'd done well except we couldn't undo the sump plug even with 6 point socket and 2 foot breaker bar with out legs pushing on it
completely rounded off.
It will be at the mechanics today to try get the plug out.
they did certainly make the car accelerate better until the engine slowly got clapped out. it was amazing to hear the difference between the 148k engine and the old 350k one before the spring broke.
Test run yesterday got average of 6.5l/100 on the highway. I thought that was impossible, much better than what it was when he bought the car.
we'd done well except we couldn't undo the sump plug even with 6 point socket and 2 foot breaker bar with out legs pushing on it
It will be at the mechanics today to try get the plug out.
-
Jervies
- Posts: 199
- Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:35 am
- cars: Vt v6 wiith a gt35/40 turbo e85 399rwkw
Mazda e2000 with a cammed vx ecotec motor - Location: Victoria
Re: well there's your problem.
Its amazing how one spring can make so many cylinder miss fires.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: well there's your problem.
well it looks like its an inlet so it would be pushing air all over the shop inside the manifold!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: well there's your problem.
yes, its was pushing air in and out the intake at lower revs, could only keep it running with more than 50% throttle.
interestingly when turning the engine with a spanner the new one was very hard to turn and very springy compression, let go and it would turn back to where you started turning from.
the old one on the other hand was easy to turn with little resistance on the good cylinders.
the old engine was well and truly clapped out but I would say it would easily get to 500,000 if it weren't for the mace rockers.
interestingly when turning the engine with a spanner the new one was very hard to turn and very springy compression, let go and it would turn back to where you started turning from.
the old one on the other hand was easy to turn with little resistance on the good cylinders.
the old engine was well and truly clapped out but I would say it would easily get to 500,000 if it weren't for the mace rockers.
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: well there's your problem.
I've seen these motors go for well over a million (used to work at a taxi workshop) just had to swap the transmission out 300,000 to 600,000Kms depending on how well looked after some transmissions actually made the mil too, but most weren't looked after well!
Other issue was heads being on LPG recessing out between 300,000 to 500,000 MAX if standard stock seats & even them use to be throw away due to crack between exhaust & inlet!
But the cars Found On Rubbish Dumps had a LOT more issues!!!!!
it takes me back a few weeks ago I had a weird 1 on a VY was literally running on 2 possibly 3, did all test's with EVERYTHING compressions all spot on, only thing that was weird was fuel pressure was getting nearly to 6Bar & fluctuating BAD & was between empty & 1/4 so I thought I'd better pull the injectors & & 4 of the 6 baskets were litterally overflowing with crud & then blew the same crud out of the fuel rail, have pics at workshop tomorrow if anyone interested... anyway clean set of injectors & fuel filter & told the guy best bet would be to take tank out & chemically clean but P plater with cost said I will just keep it above 1/4 from now on & change fuel filter every few weeks!
Other issue was heads being on LPG recessing out between 300,000 to 500,000 MAX if standard stock seats & even them use to be throw away due to crack between exhaust & inlet!
But the cars Found On Rubbish Dumps had a LOT more issues!!!!!
it takes me back a few weeks ago I had a weird 1 on a VY was literally running on 2 possibly 3, did all test's with EVERYTHING compressions all spot on, only thing that was weird was fuel pressure was getting nearly to 6Bar & fluctuating BAD & was between empty & 1/4 so I thought I'd better pull the injectors & & 4 of the 6 baskets were litterally overflowing with crud & then blew the same crud out of the fuel rail, have pics at workshop tomorrow if anyone interested... anyway clean set of injectors & fuel filter & told the guy best bet would be to take tank out & chemically clean but P plater with cost said I will just keep it above 1/4 from now on & change fuel filter every few weeks!
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: well there's your problem.
yeah i would think the springs on the motor would be just a bit above what is needed for stock motor to save on drag etc all to aid fuel economy and performance for the least cost to make!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: well there's your problem.
VX L67 Getrag wrote:I've seen these motors go for well over a million (used to work at a taxi workshop) just had to swap the transmission out 300,000 to 600,000Kms depending on how well looked after some transmissions actually made the mil too, but most weren't looked after well!
Other issue was heads being on LPG recessing out between 300,000 to 500,000 MAX if standard stock seats & even them use to be throw away due to crack between exhaust & inlet!
But the cars Found On Rubbish Dumps had a LOT more issues!!!!!
it takes me back a few weeks ago I had a weird 1 on a VY was literally running on 2 possibly 3, did all test's with EVERYTHING compressions all spot on, only thing that was weird was fuel pressure was getting nearly to 6Bar & fluctuating BAD & was between empty & 1/4 so I thought I'd better pull the injectors & & 4 of the 6 baskets were litterally overflowing with crud & then blew the same crud out of the fuel rail, have pics at workshop tomorrow if anyone interested... anyway clean set of injectors & fuel filter & told the guy best bet would be to take tank out & chemically clean but P plater with cost said I will just keep it above 1/4 from now on & change fuel filter every few weeks!
I agree on the fords, everyone in my family drives a ford except me. I have only owned vw type 3s and VP commodores.
I recon I did 7 ford heads/gaskets from last year and the year before, none since last year since I fixed, the issue for good. Used AU steel head gaskets.
Those fords have so many problems its not funny, not for me anyway coz I am the "expert" on fixing them.
my brothers EB has broken down at least 10 times this year and my car broke down this year for the first time I have owned it since 06 due to a clutch failure because I installed it incorrectly 3 years before because the clutch install specs that came with the clutch kit was based on aussie 4 speed not T5 BW. Learned my lesson, never buy other than exceedy for a holden. All other clutches are made by dumb asses I recon.
Btw my mate got the sump plug off, he took it to a work shop and they welded on a metal bar. the weld broke off in atempt to undo it. So they drilled it and used an extractor with 3' breaker bar with body weight to crack it open, the heat also helped.
sure enough they found loctite on it
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: well there's your problem.
shouldn't need it either way!! 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread