Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
Just wondering I have some bin files saved as txt, when I try & open them in hex editor they ad OD OA every 3rd & 4th byte is there anyway to open it as hex without that?
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
0D 0A is carriage return then line feed (think type writers) which is just the end of line marker where there is an "enter" in a text file. its probably either motorola srec or intel hex both of which you can find programs to convert formats. Or, better, the GQ-4X software can read those formats without conversion. But if that doesnt help you'll need to post a few lines to ID it by eye.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SREC_%28file_format%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HEX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SREC_%28file_format%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HEX
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
Thanks Antus, I had a feeling you'd know best about it!
I tried opening it in GQ program & then save as BIN but still the same layout!
I've attached the text file I just want to look at in HEX editor in normal bin layout, if I click on it to open in hex workshop it show the old typewriter return (good analogy) & then if I click on it to open in ultraedit it opens in the row like it does in word!
Thanks again!!!!
I tried opening it in GQ program & then save as BIN but still the same layout!
I've attached the text file I just want to look at in HEX editor in normal bin layout, if I click on it to open in hex workshop it show the old typewriter return (good analogy) & then if I click on it to open in ultraedit it opens in the row like it does in word!
Thanks again!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
each byte has been converted to an ascii representation, with a space, CR and LF.
So the first bytes should be a 0x13 0x4A, but they're 0x31 ("1"), 0x33 ("3") 0x20 (space), 0x0D, 0x0A.
You'd need a tool that could read the ascii byte pairs, and convert to the actual byte.
I don't know of a tool that will do that, but if you have a few of them that you need converting I can write you something....
So the first bytes should be a 0x13 0x4A, but they're 0x31 ("1"), 0x33 ("3") 0x20 (space), 0x0D, 0x0A.
You'd need a tool that could read the ascii byte pairs, and convert to the actual byte.
I don't know of a tool that will do that, but if you have a few of them that you need converting I can write you something....
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
its an odd file size but thats the bytes thats in the text file :S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
Festy Thanks for the reply, yeah I do have a few of them & dont want you to go to any trouble!
SO JAYME smarty pants how did you do that? & thank you to for the reply!
SO JAYME smarty pants how did you do that? & thank you to for the reply!
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
opened the file in notepad, ctrl+a, copied then pasted into excel, used a formula to stitch together the hex chars as one long string, then copied that and pasted into xvi32 hex editor as a hex string then saved the bin

-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
WOW , OK I'll give that a go with all the others I have, THANKS HEAPS!!!!
BTW just figured that file is Stock BWCT just missing the first 6000 bytes!
EDIT: actually for me to do it can you share the formula for excel? thats the main thing I'm missing!
BTW just figured that file is Stock BWCT just missing the first 6000 bytes!
EDIT: actually for me to do it can you share the formula for excel? thats the main thing I'm missing!
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
I like perl
Code: Select all
$ cat 84.txt | perl -ne 'chomp; print chr(hex($_))' >84.bin
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Bin files saved as txt.. Convert
I've had perl for a while but never figured out how to use it 