What brand of shockers do you guys recommend and know to be good quality?
I am sort of tossing up between boge and monroe GT gas
Koni and bilstien I would love but cost too much to justify of my VP. for my other project Koni yes because I want the best on my type 3.
But for a VP its bit of an over kill.
boge is the OEM shocker for a lot of the European sports cars like merc, bmw, porsche and vw also used them. They are great shockers but wasn't sure on their application towards Holden
even my vs had monroe gt gas factory though i think they were called something else, only replaced them a few years ago, did well since 1995. I think nearly all commo's had them or vs up?
i was at a dealer once at the parts counter and i was looking at this box of monroe gt gas shocks on the counter, it was open and the shocks in it where black. i queried the guy behind the counter and he said thats what comes stock in FE2 cars (SS, SV6 etc), and they have monroe sensatrak in the berlina/calais etc type cars. i'm not sure on executives, but honestly if you get an executive you don't care anyways!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower!
but executives were the best car to do up thats why I chose a executive to restore. simplicity and light weight and imho look the best, not of the bling and pin striping and fancy crap.
anyway that I knew about the more sport models but didn't think berlina would have higher spec shockers
From what I recall, the OEM shocks that Monroe supplied to Holden etc were built to a (very low) price - so although they were Monroes, they were a lower spec than the A/M parts.
I remember something about the OEM spec shocks being built so cheap that they were only typically good for something like 25k kms, whereas the A/M parts lasted double that?
Shocks are a wear and tear item so when they wear out the car's warranty doesn't cover them unless they're leaking or on fire - but at least the manufacturer gets to save a couple of cents per corner...