Hi everyone,
Have started playing around with trying to tune a VP V8 memcal I have.
All I wanted to do was change the temps on the tune for the thermo fans as it's for a conversion.
Upon reading plenty here, I bought a GQ-4x programmer and a uv eraser.
I desoldered the rom from the memcal which is a
BAAP 6945 V8 VP BR/B 1606 BLDP9309 980 9300 2313 = 128K
Read the tune via the gq software using M5L27128 as the device listed. Was the closest I could find since below the rom it has "L27C128D/338400" Singapore 09
The bin file I got from that was fine and I was able to open it in tunerpro with the correct XDF and change the fan switchon/off temps and save the new bin.
For some reason, no matter what speeds, etc I try in the GQ programmer it always fails at Address=0x000040, Buffer=0x1c Device=0x18
When I read it straight after sure enough I can see the first 3 lines have had data written to them fine but after 0x000040 it's still FF's .
I'm really hoping someone could steer me in the right direction with this problem as it's doing my head in.
Thanks everyone, appreciate any help at all
Bin file won't write
-
foakley
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 am
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: Bin file won't write
just try a plain 27c128
-
jacomms
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:25 pm
- cars: Commodore's .....what else?? :-)
- Location: Goulburn, NSW
Re: Bin file won't write
Just try it on another eprom. if you dont have another try giving the eprom you have 30min in uv eraser ....just make sure the glass is nice n clean.
when done b4 writing do a blank check. re check the eprom and make sure it is a 27c128 and not a high voltage write type (21v V's 5v)
Justin
when done b4 writing do a blank check. re check the eprom and make sure it is a 27c128 and not a high voltage write type (21v V's 5v)
Justin
-
foakley
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 am
Re: Bin file won't write
Thanks a lot guys!
Setting it to 27c128 worked perfectly.
Clicking blank check failed, but I thought I may as well try a write to it. Performed the write, verified fine. Read the data after and the outputted bin opened up with tunerpro fine and my temp changes were in there.
Thanks again, appreciate it muchly!!
Setting it to 27c128 worked perfectly.
Clicking blank check failed, but I thought I may as well try a write to it. Performed the write, verified fine. Read the data after and the outputted bin opened up with tunerpro fine and my temp changes were in there.
Thanks again, appreciate it muchly!!
-
foakley
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 am
Re: Bin file won't write
Fired it up today, while it started & ran.. the engine fans were on non stop as soon as ignition came on and the idle was at 1000rpm when it fired.
I guess it was in limp home mode??
Not sure what I have done wrong here with the tune or write.. The only thing I changed were the fan 1 & fan 2 on / off temps..
After much more searching all I can think of is I didn't offset it correctly.
I left the GQ settings stock with all 00's for the offsets, is this right?
Cheers & thanks again
I guess it was in limp home mode??
Not sure what I have done wrong here with the tune or write.. The only thing I changed were the fan 1 & fan 2 on / off temps..
After much more searching all I can think of is I didn't offset it correctly.
I left the GQ settings stock with all 00's for the offsets, is this right?
Cheers & thanks again
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Bin file won't write
for a vn/vp tune on a 128kb memcal you don't need any offset.
i notice you mentioned using different chip type in eprom software, for the stock stuff i normally use the generics as below.
i notice you mentioned using different chip type in eprom software, for the stock stuff i normally use the generics as below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
darcy
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 12:28 am
Re: Bin file won't write
Did you set the id to AA to bypass the checksum?foakley wrote:The only thing I changed were the fan 1 & fan 2 on / off temps..
-
foakley
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 am
Re: Bin file won't write
I didn't change anything to do with id so nopedarcy wrote:Did you set the id to AA to bypass the checksum?foakley wrote:The only thing I changed were the fan 1 & fan 2 on / off temps..
This is all I have done.
-Read & saved the file to bin from the rom
-Edited the fan1/2 on/off temp settings
-saved the new bin
-write it to the Rom
Cheers
-
foakley
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 am
Re: Bin file won't write
Okay, I found KKKPGMID in Tunerpro and the bin I had written too has it coming up as 93.00
I try to change it to $AA and save it but it always comes back with 0.00 ...
Not sure what I need to do here :/
I try to change it to $AA and save it but it always comes back with 0.00 ...
Not sure what I need to do here :/
-
foakley
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 am
Re: Bin file won't write
Okay, figured it out..
Integer's, hex and all that hehe
For anyone searching for this in the future...
170 = AA
Cheers everyone, going to try it tomorrow and see what happens
Integer's, hex and all that hehe
For anyone searching for this in the future...
170 = AA
Cheers everyone, going to try it tomorrow and see what happens