VR SS Project
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: VR SS Project
The only way it can be written to is if the CPU commands a write while its selected, with the jumper removed it can command it but wont be able to actually write. With a regular EPROM also going to limp mode it could be the ECU. Is the comms board installed? Try unplugging it if so.
-
benk
- Posts: 189
- Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am
- cars: VN V6 Commodore
Re: VR SS Project
Yes it has the comms board installed and did try it with it unplugged and still wiped it. I have got 2 of the modded 808's and both had the same issue and I know one worked fine as I had it on my turbo V6. Either I have stuffed both computersVL400 wrote:The only way it can be written to is if the CPU commands a write while its selected, with the jumper removed it can command it but wont be able to actually write. With a regular EPROM also going to limp mode it could be the ECU. Is the comms board installed? Try unplugging it if so.
Have managed to get hold of a VN engine wiring harness and and thinking of trying it....
Have a couple of questions that I'm not sure on as I know there are some differences in the wiring where they plug into the VR body wiring harness. Wondering if anyone knows what the plug pinouts are for both the VN and VR on the 1 near the ECU and the couple near the Relay block in the engine bay?
PS. can't get to the car at the moment to check out the other stuff (flooded in) lol
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: VR SS Project
i have some wiring digrams here you might be able to work it out with.
http://www.oldholdens.com/temp/carstuff ... 0diagrams/
http://www.oldholdens.com/temp/carstuff ... 0diagrams/
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
benk
- Posts: 189
- Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am
- cars: VN V6 Commodore
Re: VR SS Project
Yeah, I have those diagrams thanks, but they don't show the actual plugs that I'm talking about so I know what goes where. I have read somewhere that they are pinned differently but couldn't find what or which is pinned differently.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10016
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VR SS Project
The nvram erasing sounds like a problem with the write pin wiring, or a shorted pin on the nvram. Is the car powered off when you connect it? It sounds like the memcal/eprom might have a different problem, as obviously it cant be erased in the cars ecu.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: VR SS Project
the diagrams show where there are plugs though so you should be able to work out what it was from colour of the wires.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
benk
- Posts: 189
- Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am
- cars: VN V6 Commodore
Re: VR SS Project
I disconnect the battery everytime I remove and install the NVRAM
I have used this set up before (ECU and NVRAM) on another engine and didn't have a problem but will take a closer look at the Board and ECU and make sure that nothing has shorted out... when I can get back to it lol. Was heading back there tomorrow but just looking at the road report it looks like I might have to hang around a bit longer as the creeks are comming back up tonight...
Just to confirm.... the write pin is the only way that it can get erased besides a total failure...
I have used this set up before (ECU and NVRAM) on another engine and didn't have a problem but will take a closer look at the Board and ECU and make sure that nothing has shorted out... when I can get back to it lol. Was heading back there tomorrow but just looking at the road report it looks like I might have to hang around a bit longer as the creeks are comming back up tonight...
Just to confirm.... the write pin is the only way that it can get erased besides a total failure...
Yes but wanted to make sure that they didn't change colours or function's from the VN to VR? I know that there are a few that are different and just didn't want to have any doubt about if it was wired up correctly from the engine harness to the body harness. If worse comes to worse I will just have to trace the wires right through just to make sure....Holden202T wrote:the diagrams show where there are plugs though so you should be able to work out what it was from colour of the wires.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: VR SS Project
Yeah some sort of failure may do it too, if the voltage of the ECU is highly unstable it may trash it. But remove the RW jumper/shorting link on the NVRAM board and it will be protected from the CPU writing to it.benk wrote:Just to confirm.... the write pin is the only way that it can get erased besides a total failure...
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: VR SS Project
are you writing the tune to the right half of the nvram, or stacking it to get it in the right location ?
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
benk
- Posts: 189
- Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am
- cars: VN V6 Commodore
Re: VR SS Project
I'm using a 8000 offset in the burnerm and just burning a single copy. Will post a copy of it when I get a a chance just to make sure I am doing it correctly as I am using a different burner to what I have been using previously