Idle hunts when coasting

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
SirGollum
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 am
cars: Nissan GQ Patrol with Holden 304
Location: Brisbane

Idle hunts when coasting

Post by SirGollum »

Hi Guys,

I'm still having a strange issue when I coast, or pull up at the lights...

So I drive down to the lights...and just before I get there I clutch in and coast up to the intersection....And the idle drops quite a lot....which seems to make the ecu over compensate, and then the idle will basically hunt for a little while until it gets things under control and stabilises.

Disconnecting the VSS from the ecu makes the problem go away. The VSS seems to be working fine though showing the correct speed etc.

This doesn't 'really' effect anything while driving on petrol other than being annoying, but if I try and use LPG, the motor will stall because the ECU cant seem to bring the rev's back up quick enough...

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Idle hunts when coasting

Post by antus »

Check the speed to use idle tables. It defaults to 5kph, but I find Im often coasting up to the lights with foot on the clutch at > 5 kph but < 20 kph and I expect it to idle and the revs used to hang a bit high. So I brought "Idle Fuel Param - Max road speed for idle A/F ratio" up to 20kph and now it does what I expect. Your problem sounds slightly different, but could be related.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SirGollum
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 am
cars: Nissan GQ Patrol with Holden 304
Location: Brisbane

Re: Idle hunts when coasting

Post by SirGollum »

Ok, thanks very much Antus,

Ill give that a shot.