Hoping someone here might have an idea on this one...
I have a 95 VS V6 Auto Ute (EcoTech) that has developed an electrical fault. First appeared when the engine died a minute after starting while it was idling. Started again, died a second later, repeat before it wouldn't start again. I figured out I had no spark, fiddled with a few things, swapped relays around and it started working. Drove off and died multiple times while driving.
I have checked over everything and taken it for a drive with no issue then this morning it did it again. Mate is telling me it will be the crank angle sensor but I can't get any codes out of it whatsoever so I am thinking it's a physical break in a power wire somewhere.
I've attached a couple of logs, one of the drive with no problems (other than I think an 02 sensor is on the way out) and the second log is cranking trying to start with no fire.
Any opinions greatly appreciated!
Troy
Electrical issue VS EcoTech
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
Electrical issue VS EcoTech
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
dfi or crank sensor is common problem, see if you can swap coils packs to try
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
yeah and alot of times i've seen no codes on this issue
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
I once had this problem. was driving down the street, engine just suddenly stopped.
rolled over to the side of the road, would not restart. after trying some time I gave up, tried to call a mate then it started when I tried again. Never happen again either which back then I changed the engine not long after so I never found out what it was that done that. No error codes either
rolled over to the side of the road, would not restart. after trying some time I gave up, tried to call a mate then it started when I tried again. Never happen again either which back then I changed the engine not long after so I never found out what it was that done that. No error codes either
-
Apples
- Posts: 151
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:57 pm
- Location: Darwin, NT
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
what we called a six pack test run, normal when hot so test run one bottle of water for you and five others for crank angel sensor.
if you cooled off the sensor car would start and get back to workshop. may be it was a darwin thing.
if you cooled off the sensor car would start and get back to workshop. may be it was a darwin thing.
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
lol
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
I finally got this going again on the weekend. Did the crank angle sensor a few weeks ago as that was the cheaper option but that didn't fix it. So got a hold of a second hand DFI module/coils and swapped it over and she fired up first time.
Thanks again for the help guys, didn't even know there was a module under the coils!
Troy
Thanks again for the help guys, didn't even know there was a module under the coils!
Troy
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
lol, well there you go.
-
DavoF
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:05 am
- cars: VX L67 Executive
- Location: Melbourne
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
I've been dealing with the same problem the last couple of weeks. Changed the crank angle sensor, didn't fix it. Then changed the fuel filter and thought it must have been a blocked filter causing the problem as it was fine until a couple of days ago.
Changed the dfi plate tonight after it held me up from leaving work tonight. Seems to be running fine now.
Hope yours is fixed for good
Hope yours is fixed for good
-
yoda69
- Posts: 1226
- Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
- cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual - Location: Geelong, VIC
Re: Electrical issue VS EcoTech
Had a similar problem on my VT a couple years back.
Wife was driving and ran rough and stopped and wouldn't restart. She called RACV and actually got somebody who had some clues rather than just call a tow truck, said common problem with connector to DFI module getting a bit of corrosion on terminals. He undid the bolt, disconnected harness, cleaned it out and refitted. Problem hasn't come back so far and that was nearly 3 years ago.
Wife was driving and ran rough and stopped and wouldn't restart. She called RACV and actually got somebody who had some clues rather than just call a tow truck, said common problem with connector to DFI module getting a bit of corrosion on terminals. He undid the bolt, disconnected harness, cleaned it out and refitted. Problem hasn't come back so far and that was nearly 3 years ago.