L67 going into limp home (I think)

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
ev351
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by ev351 »

Hi everyone, Its been a while since I have been able to play with this but I got a chance today. For the last few months I have been using spare time to relocate the diff center to the middle of the axle to eliminate universal / driveshaft vibration. A bit of an ordeal, but its oh so smooth now.

But back to this problem of intermittent performance.

I have to logs here from tunerpro.

The first is with the car having VERY limited power at wide open.

The second, is after i stopped the engine, removed the memcal, powered back on, wait for the fan to come on in limp, then power off, re fit memcal, and restart engine. Then I have full performance You will note in the second log there is lots of timing pull, but the engine has WAY more power than in the fist log.

Also, in the first log there is no timing pull. But still no power.

The only thing that i can say that i have noticed is this:

If the car is left for a period of time, say overnight, then when you start it has no power. If you reset the ecu, then it runs fine until it is left overnight again... Im not sure if this helps. But the issue is not knock retard, it is much more pronounced. (in saying that im waiting for my water injection kit to arrive .. just to get rid of the little retard that it does have..)

Also, in the fault.xdl log, the place that i notice no power occurs at about nine minutes. you can see a full throttle pull there, and the 'going properly.xdl' log, the first full throttle pull where you can see lknock retard, the thing is going very well....


Hopefully someone has seen this before as it is becoming really annoying now..

Ev.
fault.xdl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

You need to sort out fault codes 47 & 71 before anything not sure what causes them but would be pretty serious things to sort out!
ev351
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by ev351 »

I saw 71, i know its engine speed low, but i cannot see how its being set as the RPM is being read correctly and the engine is idling perfectly etc. I will look into it. If anyone has seen this before let me know. I did not even notice code 41.. I shall look it up now!!!
ev351
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by ev351 »

Ok, so 41 is a fault with the EST, I just checked the definition, and will do the check that is outlined when i get near the car next. I reckon that is going to be the problem. I dont understand why i didnt see that?? Are you just looking at those logs in tunerpro or something else???
ev351
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by ev351 »

i meant code 47... but you knew that :)
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by Holden202T »

you can use the item list in tunerpro to see what codes are set/clear, once in that view up the top there is a pull down menu usually will have engine data in one view then error codes etc
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by VL400 »

At 4m10 in your first log you have lost the 18x signal from the ignition module or CAS. The module or CAS may not be delivering the spark advance the PCM is commanding when the error occured. There are some other odd spark retard things going on just before that, but havnt looked to see if its accel or decel maybe doing it.
ev351
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by ev351 »

OK, so I got some time last weekend to track down this fault. First i swapped out the EST module. Of course it wasnt that. That would be far too easy! So then I swapped the crank angle sensor. Thats a pretty straight forward job if the motor is in a Holden, but in the sierra, its a little more involved. Remove bullbar, front panels, radiator. Doh! Anyways, The Harmonic balancer look a bit crappy, but i figured it must have been that way for ages, (Should have known better, I have got the rattles in many holdens before) Anyways, I put it all back to together and went for a test. I got to drive for about five minutes before the rubber in the balancer failed. Not Happy!

So i took it back to the shed and ordered a new balancer. Its arrived and im hoping to swap it on friday night! (what else would you rather be doing?)

The only thing that i can say is that I thought it started with far less cranking after i changed the CAS. Im not sure how much 18x has to do with starting?

So hopefully can go for a cruise late friday night for some more testing!!!

Then on Saturday its on to the water injection!!!
User avatar
charlay86
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 am
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by charlay86 »

18x is used at lower engine rpm (400-2000) for more accurate spark control
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by Holden202T »

i would say 18 x has alot to do with cranking :)