L67 going into limp home (I think)

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
charlay86
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 am
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by charlay86 »

..it is also used by the DFI module to figure out which coil to fire..
ev351
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by ev351 »

Ok, so I replaced the torn out Harmonic Balancer on friday night. Drove around over the weekend and all seems good now!!! Thanks for the pointers everyone. I still cant believe that im so dumb that i did not see at lease the EST bypass, but anyways, all good now.

On a side note, I sceptically installed a stage 3 coolingmist water/meth injection kit onto the motor over the weekend. And to my pleasant surprise, It actually works. It provides a demonstrable reduction in knock consistently. System off, Knock retard looks like the Australian stock market -- ie red line going and down all over the place in tunerpro, system on, only a small bump of knock retard every ow and then depending how i accelerate. and that is on fuel which i had to buy from a crap servo so im not sure of the octane, im sure with some good fuel and the injection running, knock will be gone!!

Hooray!

If anyone is interested, heres my two cents on Coolingmist:

The kit appears to be of reasonably good quality. The Pump was much bigger than i expected, its about 20cm long and maybe 8-9 cm diameter.
The failsafe solenoid seems to good quality, im guessing most these components are sourced from the Agricultural Industry, maybe pesticide sprayers etc.
The Quick Connect fittings are nice and plenty of Boost / vacuum tubing and High pressure water line is supplied.
The "controller" is a small pod mountable guage with digital display of boost and pump duty cycle.
Once installed it seems to work nicely with a low water indication on the guage.
The Resovoir is made from the same kind of plastic as your washer bottle, but with thicker walls. This is nice, as there is no outlet on the bottle when you pull it from the box. So you can pick the best location for you individual setup and drill and tap the hole. Nice.

The mist that is sprayed is quite impressive, it is very much a fogging nozzle and the water hangs in the air if you simply spray the nozzle when not installed.

My only issue with the product is that there is NO documentation supplied in the box. (Direct from Coolingmist) And the documentation on the web does not make any reference to drilling and tapping holes etc. Even the electrical install is not for the faint hearted with instructions like: Some wires may or may not be used in your application.
They are most definitely aiming at experienced people to be playing with this.

All in all though I am impressed with there stuff. So far it does exactly what i hoped it would do!

Thanks for all the help to this point people!

Ev.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by Holden202T »

I once sat at a bar table outside under an umbrella, and they had a cooling mist system installed under them, for about 5 seconds every 1 minute it would spray a very fine mist and I honestly couldn't believe how much of a difference it made to the temperature!
ev351
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by ev351 »

Haha, that is actually a good point. And its one thing that I forgot to mention. After I had been driving for about an hour, I gave it couple of good full throttle pulls from stand still to around 120kmh. Now after and hour of running things are getting pretty warm under the bonnet of the sierra with all that grey iron stuffed in. But for some reason i thought ill pull up straight away pop the hood and feel the inlet to the blower just after the water nozzle. I was very surprises to find that it was COLD, not less warm than the rest of the motor but cold. I had read this somewhere on the net and thought, as if, but yes, water can certainly absorb some heat. Im sure i remember something about that in Science Class... should of paid more attention too bust reading car magazines...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by Holden202T »

methanol helps too.

ever seen a methanol car idling .... the intake below the carby will be ice cold!
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: L67 going into limp home (I think)

Post by Jayme »

yeah its not nessesaily the water absorbing the heat as much as the fact that something liquid is evaporating, going from liquid to vapour absorbs a lot of heat.

a TBI motor I was woroking on we customised it with commodore injectors spraying into the intake plenum, the plenum after the injectors was ICE cold, becuase of the fuel spraying striaght onto the plenum walls and evaporating off.