yeah oil galley is one of the ones that you do for the oil mod on these engines, from memory the oil feed for the big ends are fed from the smallest oil galley
normally you take them out to 7/16 or 3/8, on one of the other forums some guys have said that with 3/8 you can loose oil pressure if left idling for too long
When I built my engine I drilled them out to 3/8 and have not had any oil pressure issues, you also enlarge the cross over on the rear alloy cover to improve the oil feed to the drivers side bank of lifters as they can starve due to the oil having to travel thru the passenger side bank first
The1's Daily
-
trikky73
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am
- cars: VS V6 Sedan
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: The1's Daily
yep thats it, It might be that guy I mentioned. those are the exact things he does and few other additional oil mods, He also said that about going too big and idle pressure recovery.
-
trikky73
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am
- cars: VS V6 Sedan
Re: The1's Daily
yep same guy
have done all the mods he suggests, deburring the oil pump area of the timing cover, adding drip holes over each cam lobe
will see what my bearing look like after around 20K of use as I am about to pull the engine out due to developing some major blow by a couple of days ago
Hopefully can get away with just new bearings, light hone and new rings
have done all the mods he suggests, deburring the oil pump area of the timing cover, adding drip holes over each cam lobe
will see what my bearing look like after around 20K of use as I am about to pull the engine out due to developing some major blow by a couple of days ago
Hopefully can get away with just new bearings, light hone and new rings
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: The1's Daily
you ran it too rich didn't you?trikky73 wrote:yep same guy
have done all the mods he suggests, deburring the oil pump area of the timing cover, adding drip holes over each cam lobe
will see what my bearing look like after around 20K of use as I am about to pull the engine out due to developing some major blow by a couple of days ago![]()
Hopefully can get away with just new bearings, light hone and new rings
running too rich glazes the bores in no time.
or maybe? have you had any detonation? I have seen few cases on other engines other than these where the ring land broke due to detonation and that often causes massive blow by in an instant, though you would expect oil smoke from the exhaust and likely engine failure.
you are best to do compression test and leak down test before going in to major engine dissembley
-
trikky73
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am
- cars: VS V6 Sedan
Re: The1's Daily
took the heads off today after pulling the engine out knew I should have taken them off first but anyway rings are OK
no need to tear motor down, just need to check that it has not been warped
no need to tear motor down, just need to check that it has not been warped
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: The1's Daily
what kind of gasket is that? I have some stock factory ones that came out of my mates Vy and the metal sealing rings go almost to the outside of the head, looked like more than double of what you have there.
that could be your problem right there, shit gasket.
lol straight into the engine, thats your blow by problem
Did it torch the head or block?
that could be your problem right there, shit gasket.
lol straight into the engine, thats your blow by problem
Did it torch the head or block?
-
trikky73
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am
- cars: VS V6 Sedan
Re: The1's Daily
were ACL monotorque that came with the ACL rebuild kit I used
does not appear to be any damage to the head or block, need to get a straight edge in the morning to check the head before putting it all back together
Hopefully no warping otherwise its a trip to get them machined
does not appear to be any damage to the head or block, need to get a straight edge in the morning to check the head before putting it all back together
Hopefully no warping otherwise its a trip to get them machined
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: The1's Daily
let me see if i can get a pic oh the gasket or at least the head showing the seal width.
i have read the genuine gaskets to be the best.
i have read the genuine gaskets to be the best.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: The1's Daily
i did all tricky's tuning, all spot on with wideband and no knock, also had fun tuning LPG Vapor injection.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: The1's Daily
The1 wrote:i did all tricky's tuning, all spot on with wideband and no knock, also had fun tuning LPG Vapor injection.
can you do mine? will feature ported heads and stage 2 comp cam.
ill pay for the bus fare to victoria
seriously would be good to get a hand when mine his the dyno. I don't even know any dynos that do holdens, all that I am aware of do shitty fords.
on a side note can you get MLS gaskets of ecotec? that would be the best!
EDIT, actually would the MLS be thick enough? the ecotec i have the deck is higher than the block by a substantial amount.