VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
tav
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am
cars: VS Commodore

VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by tav »

Hey guys,

Lately I have had a few friends hassle me about making them a set of boards which let you select multiple tunes on-the-fly.
I haven't come accross any boards for sale which do this, and couldnt be bothered making them a set of PCB's from veroboard either so I got a few printed.

There are a fair number of uses; you can use them to switch between different fuel types. Or you can use them to switch between a fully blown performance mode and a completely detuned mode to keep the boys in blue happy if u ever get pulled over for one of those random EPA tests.

I have been runing a rev-limited profile on my daily for about 2 years to keep it 'quiet' if it attracts the wrong kind of attention. This will be even more useful for over-driven M90's with 16psi pulleys which scream when revved.

Here are a few pics:
IMG_20130321_200030.jpg
IMG_20130321_210059.jpg
You can equip the boards with the following rom sizes:
+ 1Mbit: No switches required, works as a regular memcal
+ 2Mbit: 1 Switch, lets you select between 2 tunes
+ 4Mbit: 2 Switches, lets you select between 4 tunes

I have 10 boards left. I am still in the process of sourcing more 4mbit chips though. Once I get them I'll be putting thse memcals up for sale. Price isn't finalised yet.
First in first served. Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kojab
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
Location: Sydney

Re: VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by kojab »

This is going to be winner.

Please put me down for two units.

Great idea.
tav
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am
cars: VS Commodore

Re: VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by tav »

kojab wrote:This is going to be winner.

Please put me down for two units.

Great idea.

No worries. 7 left guys
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by Helical »

Don't suppose they will work with a Series 3 5.0L V8? My understanding is the Series 3 PCM is very similar to the V6 PCM.

Troy
kojab
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
Location: Sydney

Re: VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by kojab »

Helical wrote:Don't suppose they will work with a Series 3 5.0L V8? My understanding is the Series 3 PCM is very similar to the V6 PCM.

Troy
If your talking about VS Series 3 which has the VT 5.0L engine then yes it will work. Bin and PCM of course is different bit bin size (1 Mbit) is the same.
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by Helical »

kojab wrote:If your talking about VS Series 3 which has the VT 5.0L engine then yes it will work. Bin and PCM of course is different bit bin size (1 Mbit) is the same.
Sure am, sounds like a goer then. I'm interested in one pending price.

Troy
tav
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am
cars: VS Commodore

Re: VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by tav »

Good news,
I can get the industrial spec 4mbit AM29F040's (They have a much wider operating temperature over regular commercial ones)
They are a DIP32 package. This means that there is no need to use a PLCC -> DIP32 adaptor board.

I can do these for $50 flat; all assembled, tested and ready to go. +$10 more for Express anywhere around Australia. Regular postage should be a little less if you would prefer that instead.

If you want the chip pre-programmed with your desired tune, email me your .bins and I can flash them in at no extra cost.

What you get
+ Board & SMD components
+ AM29F040B - 90PI EEPROM (90ns read; Industrial Operating Temp: –40°C to +85°C)
+ Machined DIP32 Socket with gold plated contacts
+ Jumper headers, jumper caps and connectors to connect to the headers when wired up to a switch in the car.
+ Instruction sheet.

All that you need to do is to wire up the secret tune selector switches to the jumper headers and you're all set.
A diagram on the tune selection combinations will be uploaded soon.
tav
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am
cars: VS Commodore

Re: VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by tav »

After 3 dud batches of chips, finally got a set of 4mbit DIP32's from the states. Will have these ready within a week for sale.
tav
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am
cars: VS Commodore

Re: VS - VY V6 Multi-Rom Memcals

Post by tav »

I apologies for the late reply.

These latest batch of chips are the go.

They stood up to 100 read / write cycles using random patterns and had no issues with data retention whatsoever.
I have been running one in my daily and have had no issues too.

I have sold all 10 already; but for those who would like more; leave a note in this thread as I am in the process of running another set of PCB's.
Cost for the new batch will be slightly more expensive due to the rareness of 4mbit DIP32 EEPROM's.

Cheers.