hoping I can get it to a point where I won't require any real amount of high fill, aim to just use a regular primer and block sand it so i don't have too many layers of different products as I have found is a paint job's enemy.
Did a test on the boot latch area to see what I can get away with, no hi build or sanding of the primer. Just washed the old paint off and 240 sanded the Ecoat and metal. light coat of primer (same aero can in the pic, for testing) then VHT silver paint and clear. Tuned out great!
So how I can see how I need to prep the surface and what finish I can expect with that level of surface sanding. My plan is to sand with 300 paper the factory primer/Ecoat and bare metal areas(block sand flat areas). Then coat of regular anti corrosion auto primer, light coat of hi build on the roof and panels, door exterior, block them til I get rid of most of the high fill, then 600 on those areas, scuff all other non panel areas with fine sotch pad to knock off any bits sticking up, then when ready to do the top and clear go over the whole lot with a thin coat of primer, flash dry then proceed with top coats.
I found the top coats doesn't stick well to fine sanded primer for some reason, so a light coat of primer in between and just before top coat is a must.
Having practice panel allover the place helps heaps to workout whats works and what doesn't. I found advise and instruction can mess stuff up than they do good.
I am not doing any painting til late spring, atm I am preping the body as much as I can, then clean out the shed and wash the booth out before i move to the actual painting. Big mess atm
