Fuel Line & Pump Options

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: Fuel Line & Pump Options

Post by VK_3800 »

Well when you put it like that... also forgot about the sock
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Fuel Line & Pump Options

Post by Charlescrown »

I have done a few EFI conversions and like you I cannot stand the howl of a fuel pump. On one I used a Holley blue for a primer pump and put up with the noise for a week before redesigning the system. I use the existing fuel line as a return and fit a 3/8 alloy fuel pipe. I retain the original tank pickup and fitting but fit a pre-filter (glass type) and keep an eye on it as yes they block up easily because of the very low pressure. Next inline is a Pierberg high flow low pressure primer pump (these pumps are small and light and can be mounted in the rubber fuel line) up to a small surg tank under the bonnet. From the bottom of the surg tank a WCF76 (Z200 filter with 12mm fittings) then a VL fuel pump then Z200 filter then to the fuel rail. After the pressure regulator I plumb the excess fuel back into the supply side of the surg tank. A very small bleed off from the top of the surg tank is used as a low volume return back to the tank mainly to remove any air from the system. This eliminates the need to have a high volume return to the tank as was used on early EFI cars.
Works a treat and best thing little noise.
I put the filter before the pump because I had a pump seize up with dirt (expensive mistake). I have found some cars actually have a small gauze filter located in the pump inlet so it shouldn't create any problems.
Can supply a basic sketch if needed.
User avatar
Apples
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:57 pm
Location: Darwin, NT

Re: Fuel Line & Pump Options

Post by Apples »

On Pre filters I use a volvo 300 factory efi pre filter Volvo part 202711 (also listed as 3202711) cost me $10 from volvo dealer or you can buy it from here http://www.efihardware.com/products/290 ... -cleanable got my first one from here then went to volvo.

Volvo used it to pre filter fuel before the bosch roller-cell pump before going to internal pumps.

so far never had a problem with flow but before using I had several bosch roller-cell pumps lock up due to grit in rollers. :cry:
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
kojab
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
Location: Sydney

Re: Fuel Line & Pump Options

Post by kojab »

Yes I go along with Apples on this one. This is the same filter I have been using for many years. First introduced to me buy a Volvo expert named Gerry.
Easy to clean as it only has a membrane that runs horizontal to the filter.
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Fuel Line & Pump Options

Post by yoda69 »

Thanks for all the responses guys, definitely a few things to ponder.
Think it might be time to have another look around the wreckers, weather permitting.
yoda69
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Fuel Line & Pump Options

Post by vlad01 »

Apples wrote:On Pre filters I use a volvo 300 factory efi pre filter Volvo part 202711 (also listed as 3202711) cost me $10 from volvo dealer or you can buy it from here http://www.efihardware.com/products/290 ... -cleanable got my first one from here then went to volvo.

Volvo used it to pre filter fuel before the bosch roller-cell pump before going to internal pumps.

so far never had a problem with flow but before using I had several bosch roller-cell pumps lock up due to grit in rollers. :cry:
This is what the VW type 3 used as well, a square shaped plastic filter before the pump, but there was no post pump filter. But what can you expect for the first production car with EFI around late 60s :think: Anyway I had one of these and it worked great, no issue with flow or cavitation.