VR V8 Engine Light

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

VR V8 Engine Light

Post by bck2basic »

Hi,

My engine light keeps coming on at random times and stays on until I turn my car off, it may come on within 5 minutes or 30 minutes. I've done a diagnostic about 20 times, and I've got this code about 3 times:

Code 24 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - Fault - Auto Transmission Only

My car is a factory manual, and there is power to and from the speed sensor. I've also read that Code 24 is being caused by a faulty PCM, faulty PROM or an incorrect PROM.

I've just put all the running gear in my vl calais, and that's when the problem started. My wiring is all good. Not having any other issues.

Can anyone shed some light?
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by VL400 »

Code 24 also applies to manuals, it gets set when the engine parameters indicate the vehicle would be moving but is not getting a signal from the speed sensor - Lots of vacuum, RPM between 1500 and 4400RPM for over 5 seconds ie coasting down a hill.

It could be an intermittent fault from a bad connection?
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by bck2basic »

Well I pulled the harness off today and it didn't make a difference. Tested to see if I was getting power in and it was, tested at the ecu to see if power was going out of the sensor and it was. There is another code for intermittent signal.

The weird thing is the engine light doesn't come on straight away, which would mean its getting a signal to start with?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by Holden202T »

my suggestion is to log while your driving and see if the code comes up if theres a glitch in the VSS signal or similar.
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by bck2basic »

What do you mean by log?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by Holden202T »

use a laptop and interface cable to suit your vehicle and log all the engine data while driving.
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by bck2basic »

I can't do that without the diagnostic connector can I? I didn't keep the connector when I did my conversion
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by Holden202T »

well if that's the case your probably going to find it quite hard to find the fault!
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by bck2basic »

Is there any way to connect a new plug? Because I'm not using the bcm.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VR V8 Engine Light

Post by antus »

yeah the aldl wire goes from the plug to the pcm, the bcm, and every other component in the car thats on the aldl bus. no problem with going direct from obd port to pcm and nowhere else. that will work. might also need b+ and gnd signals on the port, depending.. might as well hook those up too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396