Replaced the o2 sensor and all seems good no more check engine light and the car purrs.
Only problem now is that it seems that I have some kind inconsistent starting issue. But that's for another thread, thanks for the help guys!
Checking for Error Codes
-
tox
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm
- cars: Holden VS and VY
-
tox
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm
- cars: Holden VS and VY
Re: Checking for Error Codes
Hi all. Check engine light is back, and according to my log it's the left o2 sensor which I replaced not long ago! I did not replace it with an OEM AC Delco sensor, though, I bought a Bosch one thinking that it was the OEM sensor at the time.
Are Bosch sensors generally pretty shit? Or could something be damaging my left side o2 sensor and causing failures? I have attached a log, as you can see the left side o2 sensor is pretty jumpy, goes from normal figures to 0 intermittently. And I don't seem to see any other codes or problems that would give me a check engine light.
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
Are Bosch sensors generally pretty shit? Or could something be damaging my left side o2 sensor and causing failures? I have attached a log, as you can see the left side o2 sensor is pretty jumpy, goes from normal figures to 0 intermittently. And I don't seem to see any other codes or problems that would give me a check engine light.
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Checking for Error Codes
Give what holden202 said earlier in this thread a shot and see what happens..
Holden202T wrote:before you go and buy a new o2 sensor, try swapping them bank to bank and see if the problem follows the sensor!!
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: Checking for Error Codes
i have found in the last year reliability of 02 sensors to be horrible in many cars, only acdelco/delphi seem to be any good.
-
tox
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm
- cars: Holden VS and VY
Re: Checking for Error Codes
Ah yes, good idea. I just got given some car ramps for my birthday, perfect timing lol. I'll give this a go tomorrow.VL400 wrote:Give what holden202 said earlier in this thread a shot and see what happens..Holden202T wrote:before you go and buy a new o2 sensor, try swapping them bank to bank and see if the problem follows the sensor!!
What should I check if the problem doesn't follow the sensor? I'm not really good with wiring and my understanding of electricity is piss poor, so go easy
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Checking for Error Codes
wll if the sensors are switched but the issue stays on the same side that tells you its not the sensor its some other part of the system, i guess in a way its worse, because probably harder to trace than replacing a sensor!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
tox
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm
- cars: Holden VS and VY
Re: Checking for Error Codes
Well I didn't have time on Saturday to fiddle and swap the sensors (woke up close to noon due to a bigger than expected night before) and I didn't want to risk not being able to make to Holden before spare parts closed and have to wait another week so I called around a few Holden dealerships and found the cheapest one and went out and bought it. Error gone and all seems good again. Guess we will see how it goes! Thanks guys.
-
tox
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm
- cars: Holden VS and VY
Re: Checking for Error Codes
Well I'm back again with DTC 64 lol.
It seems something keeps killing my left hand sensors. Any advice on what I should investigate next?
Cheers.
It seems something keeps killing my left hand sensors. Any advice on what I should investigate next?
Cheers.
-
DavoF
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:05 am
- cars: VX L67 Executive
- Location: Melbourne
Re: Checking for Error Codes
How are your Lower intake gaskets? A common fault is for them to leak coolant. If small amounts of the coolant have been getting into the cylinder bank on one side i've heard that that can kill an Oxygen sensor. But I don't know how fast that would happen.
Regards
Davo
Regards
Davo
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Checking for Error Codes
If you reset the code and go for a drive while logging will then hopefully be able to see when it gets set and under what conditions.