Hello
I am after some information about the low speed thermo fan "ON" temperature for a SIII VS V8 Ute with the VT roller engine. What temperature does the PCM turn the low speed fan ON and OFF at? Is it the same as the VT 5.0l (from memory 95 ON, 90 OFF) or does it remain the same as the V6?
The PCM part number is 16234531 and memcal is CJYN.
Any help is appreciated.
SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
-
cringgle
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 am
- cars: VS V8
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
if xdf is right it's 110/104
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
The VS V8's (including Series 3) didn't have electric thermo fans so the low speed fan temps are set the same as the high speed which is the A/C fan that will also come on if things get really hot.
Your VT 5.0L numbers are correct from the bin/xdf I have seen, so I'd go with those. After all it's the same engine, just a wider radiator and thermo fans fitted.
I'm planning on putting AU thermo fans into my VS Series 3 Maloo and running them via the PCM, but haven't got past the planning phase yet...
Your VT 5.0L numbers are correct from the bin/xdf I have seen, so I'd go with those. After all it's the same engine, just a wider radiator and thermo fans fitted.
I'm planning on putting AU thermo fans into my VS Series 3 Maloo and running them via the PCM, but haven't got past the planning phase yet...
-
cringgle
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 am
- cars: VS V8
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
Thanks for the replies.
What is the best way of turning the fans ON and OFF by the PCM? By retaining the orignal memcal or fitting a programmable one?
The main reason I want the PCM to turn the fan ON and OFF (not an external source) is so that the fans do not turn ON on the freeway.
Thanks
What is the best way of turning the fans ON and OFF by the PCM? By retaining the orignal memcal or fitting a programmable one?
The main reason I want the PCM to turn the fan ON and OFF (not an external source) is so that the fans do not turn ON on the freeway.
Thanks
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
Helical wrote:The VS V8's (including Series 3) didn't have electric thermo fans so the low speed fan temps are set the same as the high speed which is the A/C fan that will also come on if things get really hot.
Your VT 5.0L numbers are correct from the bin/xdf I have seen, so I'd go with those. After all it's the same engine, just a wider radiator and thermo fans fitted.
I'm planning on putting AU thermo fans into my VS Series 3 Maloo and running them via the PCM, but haven't got past the planning phase yet...
Look into the Ford Mondeo fans much better option. Info on Street Commodores.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
if the fans are turning on on the freeway i would say you have an overheating issue!
factory fan on temps are very high normally and you wouldn't want to make them higher only lower!
factory fan on temps are very high normally and you wouldn't want to make them higher only lower!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
I was told about that after I got some AU thermos, so I'll be sticking with those to save $$$Dylan wrote:Helical wrote:The VS V8's (including Series 3) didn't have electric thermo fans so the low speed fan temps are set the same as the high speed which is the A/C fan that will also come on if things get really hot.
Your VT 5.0L numbers are correct from the bin/xdf I have seen, so I'd go with those. After all it's the same engine, just a wider radiator and thermo fans fitted.
I'm planning on putting AU thermo fans into my VS Series 3 Maloo and running them via the PCM, but haven't got past the planning phase yet...
Look into the Ford Mondeo fans much better option. Info on Street Commodores.
Cheers.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
speaking of fan, with the VS dual speed V6 fans, can both speeds be run at the same time?
I am wondering if I should or not utilize the 2 speed feature of my VS fan in my VP. The AC will be retrofitted to run R134a gas which will require an additional fan according to my old boss who does AC and auto electrics. Evidence of this is an auxiliary fan on the VR which has R134a not R12 like VN-VP did.
I can't even remember if the main fan runs on VN-VP which AC on? if thats the case I wont need the 2nd speed.
I am wondering if I should or not utilize the 2 speed feature of my VS fan in my VP. The AC will be retrofitted to run R134a gas which will require an additional fan according to my old boss who does AC and auto electrics. Evidence of this is an auxiliary fan on the VR which has R134a not R12 like VN-VP did.
I can't even remember if the main fan runs on VN-VP which AC on? if thats the case I wont need the 2nd speed.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
when i ran the VS V6 fan on the 808 computer i just wired the two wires to the one relay so it was on high speed all the time, if you only connect one of them it will be low speed.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: SIII VS V8 Ute thermo fan question
Holden202T wrote:when i ran the VS V6 fan on the 808 computer i just wired the two wires to the one relay so it was on high speed all the time, if you only connect one of them it will be low speed.
my understanding is one wire is high speed while the other is low speed. I must try this at home and see if what you say happens.