Ecotec into vr auto

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: Ecotec into vr auto

Post by Dazza92VP »

ill give my mate a call and see if there are any vs t5 but i dont think there was even any manual commodores left in the yard but like i said ill see what they've got. or your could give me the extra 5 grand i need to finish my original engine off and you can have these ones lol
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: Ecotec into vr auto

Post by Dazza92VP »

ok so i rang my mate no luck havent had a vs t5 come in since the one i stripped apart sorry mate
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Ecotec into vr auto

Post by ejukated »

vlad01 wrote:that's exactly what I need. the pre ecotec bracket is soooo not suitable for the job.

Can you see if you can get me one? none of the wrecker in Melbourne have or had them in years they reckon.
Havent looked under my VS in a while but the VR brackets off the T5 just bolted up no worries?
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: Ecotec into vr auto

Post by Dazza92VP »

only if you change the sump can you use the pre ecotec brackets due to the pre ecotec having a pressed steel sump and the bracket mounting points are the sump bolts. the ecotec uses a alloy sump and the sump is thicker were the sump bolts to the block so they cast and tapped out threads into the side of the alloy sump for a different stye of bracket. if you were to use the pre ecotec brackets on the ecotec they would hang a good 10mm below the bellhousing and the bolt holes would be inline with the edge of the bellhousing
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Ecotec into vr auto

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I tried this^, it wont even go over the sump as the bosses for the ecotec bracket are in the way by a lot.

the only thing that might work is if you have the sump milled to remove the bosses and the area flatten so the bracket can sit flat and not on rough casting. then have the bracket milled down to compensate for the thickness of the sump lip, then back left side hole drilled deeper as it does not go through like the other 5 studs, it needs to go deeper as you have just milled the bracket. Also have the bridging casting on the bracket clearanced as well so it fit onto he sump. Then longer studs as the sump lip is thicker. Good luck finding longer one like those, they are a bolt with a stud on top of the head not a normal stud.

All that said it might not even be the correct bolt pattern lol
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Ecotec into vr auto

Post by ejukated »

hmm interesting. either I never had those brackets or I came up with some combination of brackets that worked. I don't remember getting anything procured outside the parts I already had or modifying anything. It was a L67 (essentially ecotec) with auto, and I fitted a T5 out of VR with rebalanced flywheel. All the parts I had were already on the VS or came from the VR doner car

P.S. didn't mean to hijack your thread!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Ecotec into vr auto

Post by vlad01 »

email one wrecker who seems to sell a lot of T5s and parts. They replied saying they should have some of these brackets.....$175 for the pair lol.

Not too ridiculous for a unobtainium part, seen some ridiculous prices 10 times worse for common parts many times before.

example. > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VP-front-ind ... 3f26290b52