Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by Holden202T »

yeah the first time i tried it i made the test panel ALOT worse than it started hehehe
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by delcowizzid »

thats why the carbon rod is good its very localised heating unlike a gas tourch heating the surrounding panels.wet rag goes on the stretched side of the dent ) this side LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

how does it work for subtle dents or more like wobbles only 1 or 2 10th of a mm deep? I figured a propane large flame would work best as it heats the whole dent like the ones I am interested to try it on.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by delcowizzid »

creases etc you can just rub the carbon back and foward along the crease to heat the area or big woopy dents rub in circles getting bigger and bigger you can soon heat a soccer ball size dent.if you have a D cell battery you can get into it and play on an old panel just the carbon rod is small in a D battery LOL.its best on small deep dents though
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

delcowizzid wrote:creases etc you can just rub the carbon back and foward along the crease to heat the area or big woopy dents rub in circles getting bigger and bigger you can soon heat a soccer ball size dent.if you have a D cell battery you can get into it and play on an old panel just the carbon rod is small in a D battery LOL.its best on small deep dents though
funny thing is we used to have 300mm x 10mm diameter carbon rods by the box full for a spot welding machine when I was a kid. All that was tossed maybe 12 years ago? or more? We has a whole shed for of really cool stuff like this but I didn't know what they were and it was cleaned out as "junk" A lot of it was but some stuff I wished we had kept though.

Do I use car battery for the power?
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah car battery and reverse polarity earth is positive
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

picked up my goods today.

VQ bonnet NOS. Even comes with genuine GMH dust! :lol:
IMG_0769_zps9c6d86a4.jpg
being NOS I know all to well stuff like this is never perfect. When I open the box which hadn't been open yet, Found that the factory kocked the back left corner and actually must of bent it up and they straighten the frame back out but you could see this crease and dent right across the corner. So the good old heat and wet rag trick once again, hit it with the file, block sand and put a coat of gloss black to check for straightness.

perfect! :thumbup:
IMG_0770_zpsc420ff77.jpg
only minor dilemma is that its VQ, although the same as VP it had the retarded grille and the studs the came with them.
They are only spot welded in just around the very edge of the stud, very much like the head of a wheel stud but spot welded in place. Should be able to cut them off and use a good hole cutter and depth limiting setup to cut them out, don't want to hit the skin! :shock:
IMG_0772_zps920f03ff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

Just figured out my NOS VP badge which took me more than a year to find is actually a NOS VR badge. Fuck! damn ebay sellers listing there shit wrong. :rant:

The curvature is different and doesn't sit flush on the VP bonnet. Had the same problem with the "VP" rear commodore script. turned out to be VR as well.
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by yoda69 »

From what I can see the one for the bonnet is Partnumber 92038759, same part was also used on the tailgate of VP/VR wagons.
Be careful as some people are advertising this part as the HSV logo, HSV would have there own partnumber but would have used the Holden backing mould which has the partnumber on it, hence the confusion.
Don't know if still available from Holden, but should be around the $30-40 mark.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

yoda69 wrote:From what I can see the one for the bonnet is Partnumber 92038759, same part was also used on the tailgate of VP/VR wagons.
Be careful as some people are advertising this part as the HSV logo, HSV would have there own partnumber but would have used the Holden backing mould which has the partnumber on it, hence the confusion.
Don't know if still available from Holden, but should be around the $30-40 mark.

not much is available from holden for these cars. Most parts are NLA. But physically the Dandenog plant may well have the parts but written off as excess stock. The guy I bought all my NOS NLA parts got them from storage out of Dandenog plant.

But if you ask Holden they will say no its NLA. BS! lol :lol:

I have put in request for battery trays and the other side quarter windows. Well see what he digs up.

Check out his store for bits you need.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/GM-FAIR-SPARES