Vn loom vs ecu

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Danga81
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 am

Vn loom vs ecu

Post by Danga81 »

I've been searching through the forum but can't find the answer I need, I'm in the process of converting a manual nissan patrol to a 304.
I have an engine from a vs, an engine loom from a vn, vp and an auto ecu from the vs. my question is, will the vn loom plug into the vs ecu (Pinouts the same?). I will need to get the vats and the auto codes removed and realise I need to run a speed sensor, but I don't what is the right speed sensor to use and what pins on the ecu to plug it into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by vs ss »

Hi your better off running the vn/vp delco 808 as the vs v8 auto pcm will not suit the harness you have.
Also if you do that you wont have to worry about auto codes,vats etc ,and as for the speed sensor there are many different styles and it has been years since ive done anything with one so you will have to wait for someone who is more up to date on them
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I agree use an 808 ecu, be much easier! if you can make a vn/vp auto speed sensor work that will be the easiest solution, I don't know what the patrol has but im sure theres something out there to make it work!
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by Charlescrown »

If the ECU is service No 16183082 or 16206305 from an early VS it will fit and has the faster data logging for TunerPro. The speedo if yours has a cable is easily fixed by buying a hall effect adapter which fits inline with your cable. There are a few types with a different number of pulses you also need to know the thread size and if it's square or tab drive. I would start with a base VN or better still the $12P program and that's about it. You will gets lots of help and tuning tips here.
Danga81
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by Danga81 »

Thanks guys I will have a look at the service number later today hopefully it will be the right one, I know I'd would be easier to use an 808 but when I bought the engine they sent me that loom and ecu so I'd like to use it if I can
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Only other issue will be the fact your runningan electronic auto so will need to do a manual valve body conversion or run the later op sys that can control it!
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by vs ss »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Only other issue will be the fact your runningan electronic auto so will need to do a manual valve body conversion or run the later op sys that can control it!


He is running the original Nissan manual box.
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

WOOPS, just saw vs auto & missed the ECU bit after it, ignore my earlier comment!
Danga81
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by Danga81 »

Had a look at my PCM, service no 16176424 and after a quick search on dr bob's site discovered it is actually out of a VR, if I am correct I shouldn't have to many dramas?
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: Vn loom vs ecu

Post by vs ss »

The 16176424 is for vr v6/v8 and also vs v8 all auto pcm.