GQ-4x Programmer
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
GQ-4x Programmer
I've recently upgraded my PC from XP to Windows 7. I tried to install the USB programmer but I can't get it to work. I downloaded & installed the software as described in the instructions from http://www.mcumall.com. So I tried to do the same on the laptop but comes up with the same issue. Is there any secrets with installation with win7?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
it's been a while since I installed mine but I don't recall anything, if no one else replies with a result I will try & install mine on a win7 but mine is only GQ3 & assume it would be the same chipset?
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
got my gq-4x running on win7 x64, on my desktop and laptop, never had any problems. whats the error?
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
Mine works fine too, installed the software, plug in the chip burner and windows installs the driver automatically.
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
Installed the software, plug the programmer in, open the GQ-4x program & it says "Did not get response from programmer.
Demo only."
Demo only."
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
Installed the software, plug the programmer in, open the GQ-4x program & it says "Did not get response from programmer.
Demo only." Worked fine when the pc had XP on it. Shows "unknown device" in device manager.
Looks like I didn't edit that the correct way.
Demo only." Worked fine when the pc had XP on it. Shows "unknown device" in device manager.
Looks like I didn't edit that the correct way.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
have a look in windows device manager and make sure the hardware is installed properly ... might be having driver issues ?
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
sounds like you just havent installed the usb driver.... did you install the "GQ USB Driver 2.01" from the mcumall site ?
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
All sorted. I hadn't installed the USB driver & when I did try to install it, it didn't want to work properly. Now all is Ok, I mustn't have been holding my tongue write. 
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10013
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: GQ-4x Programmer
I had some problems with gq-4x and drivers last night, though i'd document it here to help people with similar problems who find this thread later on.
I plugged the gq-4x in to my win7 64bit laptop, and it threw an error about drivers. I was sure I had used the programmer on this machine before, but ok.. I downloaded the drivers and tried to update. Nothing I did seemed to work. I tried all USB ports. No good. Then following a hunch I swapped the USB cable over to one I had definitely used with the programmer before, and bingo it was detected and started up ok.
So it seems some of the cheaper usb a to usb b cables out there can not supply enough power to run the GQ-4x. This was not at all obvious because windows did see a device and the power lights on the GQ-4x were on. But if anyone who hits this and the drivers just dont work - its worth trying another usb cable.
I plugged the gq-4x in to my win7 64bit laptop, and it threw an error about drivers. I was sure I had used the programmer on this machine before, but ok.. I downloaded the drivers and tried to update. Nothing I did seemed to work. I tried all USB ports. No good. Then following a hunch I swapped the USB cable over to one I had definitely used with the programmer before, and bingo it was detected and started up ok.
So it seems some of the cheaper usb a to usb b cables out there can not supply enough power to run the GQ-4x. This was not at all obvious because windows did see a device and the power lights on the GQ-4x were on. But if anyone who hits this and the drivers just dont work - its worth trying another usb cable.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396