I'm going to be changing my VS3 Maloo to manual (4L60E to a Borg Warner T56) and am pondering two problems.
First is switching the reverse lockout solenoid. I'm thinking I might be able to change some values in the auto parameters in TP and get it to switch the solenoid below a set speed. I've had a look through various tables and can't identify any obvious candidates, doesn't help that I have very little understanding on how autos work. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions on this one.
The Memcal will be getting changed to a VL400 NVRAM that I have from my old ute that has DRRR RTmodded bin on it, would the DRRR bin still have the auto code in there or that part left blank?
Secondly, the signal to the speedo in the dash. Both boxes have reluctor sensors (as far as I understand) so the PCM would be doing the signal conversion for the speedo drive. If I change the PPK value in the PCM to match up with diff ratio change, will this also change the conversion for the speedo?
Troy
Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
on the 2nd part.... Yes!
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
In VTs with the T56 it uses the TCC output re-purposed as the reverse lockout solenoid. This code might also be in the VS III bin but would need to find the items (its going to be a KPH and RPM threshold) and check if they are setup.
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
Awesome, thanks guys. The PPK/speedo thing was the main thing I was hoping for, so that's great news.
I'll do some fishing around and see what I can find about this TCC, at least it confirms my thoughts so far. Also means less wiring/pin changes if I can find it.
Cheers.
I'll do some fishing around and see what I can find about this TCC, at least it confirms my thoughts so far. Also means less wiring/pin changes if I can find it.
Cheers.
-
vs ss
- Posts: 590
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
- cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1 - Location: perth wa
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
Hi you will still need a speedo corrector module to change the actual speedo for a diff ratio change.
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
vlad01 seemed to suggest that my theory of changing the ppk would change the signal to the speedo, which is right?vs ss wrote:Hi you will still need a speedo corrector module to change the actual speedo for a diff ratio change.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
I haven't done it but I think the vt that will work. The ecu sends the signal to the cluster as an output.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
Dylan wrote:I haven't done it but I think the vt that will work. The ecu sends the signal to the cluster as an output.
Thats what I thought. I gather the PCM does the signal conversion and thus changes when the PPK is changed? unless its a hardware level conversion and not though the software?
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
When I get time I'm going to put my NVRAM in my Maloo and see what happens to the dash speed reading when I change the ppk. I'll post back what I discover. I really hope it changes the speedo signal, after all, Holden did use different ratio diffs from factory.
-
Helical
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
- cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck) - Location: SOR, WA
Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK
Hopefully get a chance to play with the NVRAM this weekend to try a few things, does anyone know if the HSV ISS is going to spit the dummy when I swap out the stock memcal with a vats removed NVRAM?