Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by Holden202T »

whats HSV ISS ?
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by yoda69 »

Integrated Security System (ISS) or later models was Embedded Security System (ESS).
http://www.cruisecontrols.com.au/prod-hsv.html
There is very little information on these systems for security purposes, so you won't find a wiring diagram in the workshop manuals.

Changing the memcal to an NVRAM shouldn't make any difference.
Changing BCM or PCM however will likely cause problems.
kojab
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
Location: Sydney

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by kojab »

vs ss wrote:Hi you will still need a speedo corrector module to change the actual speedo for a diff ratio change.
I will agree with "vs ss"

A PPK change in the PCM will effect what the PCM is displaying (when logged) but won't change the dash speedo reading. You could get the speedo head reflashed to reflect the correct speed reading.
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by Helical »

Cheers Yoda. When I put climate control in I'm planning on tracking down the ISS and tracing the wires with the thought of making a diagram for it because there is so little information on them.

Kojab, that's what I'm suspecting, will find out for sure soon.
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by Helical »

No problems with vats disabled and ISS.

Other testing didn't really achieve much as I couldn't get a VSS reading even with the flags set the same as the original bin. My NVRAM currently has DRRR (manual) on it where as the stock bin is CNDP (auto). Also found out that even though tunerpro shows all the auto values in DRRR as the same as DRRS/CNDP it doesn't actually work as the gearbox wouldn't change out of 1st.

Also found out that enabling the low speed fan causes the flag for highspeed fan to flick on and off and the fan itself pulses. Another one of my plans to hook up thermo fans when I find time...

Looks like I'll jet get a hold of a speedo corrector or look at getting the cluster flashed, can this be done with a Tech2 or Tech1?
Then the rest will just be experimenting when the T56 goes in.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by Holden202T »

is the high speed fan set at a higher setting than the low speed fan ?
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by Helical »

Yep, was only messing with the on temperatures, low I set to 35 and high was still at 110. I have a plan to put AU thermos in (or mondeo if I happen to find a cheap set) but want to run them from the PCM so I made a dash up in TP awhile ago to show the status of fans and ct etc. Happened to find it while I was checking the NVRAM in the vehicle so had a little mess around. Was a bit odd, I'll have a play with it another day I think.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by VL400 »

Helical wrote:My NVRAM currently has DRRR (manual) on it where as the stock bin is CNDP (auto). Also found out that even though tunerpro shows all the auto values in DRRR as the same as DRRS/CNDP it doesn't actually work as the gearbox wouldn't change out of 1st.
You can actually write the DRRS auto cal to your NVRAM. They are both A6F bins with only the cal being different :thumbup:
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by Helical »

Ah cool, that's handy. I didn't want to write the other bin to it as I'm just going to be changing it when drop the manual in. Plus I still haven't learnt how to use my GQ-4X yet, I'll get to that one day.
Helical
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)
Location: SOR, WA

Re: Gearbox conversion - Rev Solenoid and PPK

Post by Helical »

UPDATE

I have now got the T56 in with my 'spare' 5L roller (VT series1) but can't seem to get the PCM to recognise changes to PPK.

I stuck in my NVRAM with DDRR and am getting a VSS readout that is about half the actual speed, as expected due to the T56 and also a diff change from 3.08 to 3.89. The thing is, changing PPK and VSS constants seems to have absolutely no effect. I'm even writing the changes then turning the key of and then reconnecting etc but still no difference. I'm sure the changed are getting written to the NVRAM as I played with some manual and VSS flags and stopped getting a VSS reading at all.

Currently I'm using PPK value from BMZN which I think is the tune that would have come with the gearbox, also changed the VSS constant by the same percentage as the PPK. I have been using a modified XDF for $A6 that I added the PPK parameter to from The1's enhanced $A6 XDF and also tried the enhanced XDF but still the same results.

Also to note I'm not getting a consistent RPM in the log, not sure why as the dash is showing correct RPM. I removed lpg wiring while doing the conversion and the only wire left is off the coil/tacho but that is taped off. I think I'll go remove that one completely now just to rule it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.