VN V6 Bolts

For non EFI mechanical discussion
vc81
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am
cars: vn v6

VN V6 Bolts

Post by vc81 »

On a VN V6 does anyone know if the main cap bolts, head bolts are torque to yield?

I believe the flywheel bolts & rocker bolts are and possibly the conrod bolts as well.

From what I understand tty bolts can only be used once.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by delcowizzid »

ive reused them all youll be fine.i even reuse the flywheel ones LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by vlad01 »

I think they are but I never heard anyone having problems reusing them.

flywheel bolts on the other hand, oh boy! have I seen the amount of complaints of them breaking after reuse and even flywheels coming off. They are small as with a lot of torque for there size and most certainly feel the stretching when doing them up to spec.
vc81
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am
cars: vn v6

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by vc81 »

delcowizzid wrote:ive reused them all youll be fine.i even reuse the flywheel ones LOL
So did you just tighten them up to standard specs delco?
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by delcowizzid »

yip head bolts done up just below the max listed in the manual same with mains and conrods
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by VK_3800 »

The head bolts are definitely torque to yield and technically you're not supposed to reuse them, although I'm just as guilty as anyone here though of ignoring that...!

You just need to have a good feel for the bolts - you can tell when all you're getting is stretch and losing clamping pressure. Try to avoid reaching this situation by not over tightening them, and if you find one or two are not right then perhaps its worth hunting out individual replacements. If any more than that and I'd be replacing the lot, especially if its not a standard engine.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by vlad01 »

you can buy new bolts for next to nothing in the states. Worth doing to be safe.

I bought bulk lot of bolts from the states for the timing cover since they are hard to come by in an un-rusted condition. I also picked up cam and balance shaft bolts as they are TTY as well.

most bolts were only few 10s of cents to few bucks each, in comparison most are NLA here and cost 25 each on what you can still get.

I also got the exhaust studs for next to nothing too. all genuine btw.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by immortality »

You can use cap screws from your local engineering outlet. Grade 12.9 cap screws are as good if not better than the entry level (3840) ARP bolts but a lot cheaper.

I've snapped the odd rocker bolt etc so these days, I rubbish old factory bolts and use cap screws if I even suspect they may be dodgy.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by vlad01 »

I have broke the middle out of cap head bolts a few times without warning. I avoid using them other than general fasting. I stick to regular hex head where i can.
vc81
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am
cars: vn v6

Re: VN V6 Bolts

Post by vc81 »

Thanks for the replies fellas.

If I replace the main cap bolts with ARP studs, because they clamp down tighter than bolts would the tunnel need to be line bored with the studs fitted? Otherwise because of the tighter clamp force would the main bearings be out of round?