Thanks

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Ken
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks

Post by Ken »

Hi all, just stopped by to says thanks for publically hosting the STD memcal bin files, my son convinced me to have a play with his VS V6 Manual chip,
not sure how but I buggered it, though only after pulling the STD binary off the chip as a backup, the chip ended up dead, luckily I had an Auto variant of
the same models memcal, so I erased it & flashed the BRHR6556.bin you had hosted here & we're back up & running, though he swears it's running harder,
not sure how, unless his chip had a problem that for some reason wasn't showing up via checklight or other means.
Now he's doing his best to convince me to start playing around with his dead memcal, luckily I've been playing around with computers long enough
to have a good collection of old eprom chips from old mobo's & video cards, being the hoarder that I am.
I'm wondering how much damage I'll end up doing before getting somewhere, & whether I should quit now whilst I'm still ahead.
Thanks again...

Ken H...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Thanks

Post by Holden202T »

hell no, don't be scared, play away and post here if you have issues burning modified bins etc and im sure we'll be able to assist!
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Thanks

Post by Jayme »

for my first lot of playing around with the ecotec engine, I found a 32 pin eeprom off an old motherboard at the tip... saved having to erase it under UV light all the time... but once you get set up with realtime and nvram, the point becomes moot.
the biggest downfall with these is that they are so lean at low revs at wide open throttle. presumably holden didnt want you spinning the wheels everywhere. if you richen up the lower rpm you will see a massive gain in low rpm power.
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Thanks

Post by The1 »

As above start playing you'l learn heaps, drop the Power Enrichment cutin at lower RPM and you'l pickup some power along with 95/98ron fuel will make it zip a little more, then when you get keen download enhanced bin and play with the spark you can gain some in the midrange as you can spread it out more.
Ken
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Thanks

Post by Ken »

Ahhh, I guess I can't do too much damage if I have a STD backup anyway, the amount of junk I've accumulated is wasting away otherwise.
I've spent a few hours reading posts here on the forum, got some pointers / ideas regarding alternate chips to use, seems I have to use
chips 120ns or faster, I've not seen anyone post of chips with sector size differences over the STD 128 x 8 byte chips, so I found a chip I figured would
be a good starting point, the only 128 x 8 byte 120ns chips I have in abundance is the atmel 29c010A -120, so i've already desoldered the
windowed nm27c010 out & preplaced it with the latter, put a STD program on it, I'll give it a test when he finishes work later today...

There's a good chip info sight here if anyone's looking for chip info

Will I be needing to buy cables & software to get somewhere with this, or can I use the free version of Tunerpro to tweak the baseline options
& just reflash it to chip.

I'm rather old school regarding what I usually involve myself in, & prefer carbs anyday, just my sons pushing to get me going with it, & i'd
rather he do it here at home than spend his time elsewhere, plus he may pick up on it & decide it's a hobby.
As you've probably already guessed, I have zero experience with this, my only saving grace is my time spent with computers for the
last 15 or so years.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Thanks

Post by Holden202T »

you don't need to register tunerpro, but if you don't you have the 10 second popup at the start.

the 29c010 will work fine aslong as its 28 pin
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Thanks

Post by Jayme »

you mean 32 pin holden202 :P ive used that chip on a VS before and they work fine.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Thanks

Post by Holden202T »

oh crap, sorry forgot we were talking about VS!

yes 32 pin for VS :)
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Thanks

Post by immortality »

I guess the best advice I ever had is small changes at a time, see what it does and then do some more.

Ideally, you at least want a ALDL cable so you can see what is going on when driving. Also makes it easy to diagnosis if something is playing up. The other benefit is that you can create datalogs which let you see what is going on. Failing all else, you can post em up here and the guys will tell you what is going on for you.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Thanks

Post by delcowizzid »

yes an aldl cable to see where in the tune you are running so you can adjust the right places and see how the fueling responds.apart from that if you have played with carbs and dizzy springs its no different apart from you are far more tunable.just like you have jet sizes for ever rpm and load range and same with the timing.when i started i burnt 1 chip 100 times to dial in a car i bought just to play around with
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem