Ignition Systems

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Ignition Systems

Post by VL400 »

Am just wondering what people are using on higher HP vehicles?

On my mates drag car thats running a delco 808, its been running mid 11s using a camira module and standard dissy on a mild 360cube small block chrysler. We have now stepped up to a 420cube small block (still running pump fuel) and getting some pretty bad misfiring. Had it on the dyno and got the fuel dialled in but above 5600RPM it falls over. This was right on 400RWHP, but should make closer to 450rwhp @ 6500RPM with a rev-limit of 7000RPM.

While its got the factory chysler reluctor dissy due to the camira module, we do have a modified VN V8 dizzy with hall effect pickup that we can use with a V8 module. I guess the question is, would the V8 module be enough or would we be better of with an aftermarket spark booster?
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Re: Ignition Systems

Post by Dec_head »

A bloke i was talking to repairs the holden v8 ignition modules and upgrades them as well with a two transistor modification and fixes the bad earthing points etc he said they produce a better spark and get better fuel mileage and performance.
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

If you want to keep the dizzy, I'd likely just add an MSD ignition box to the system to increase spark potential.

Idealy I'd swap to a DIS ignition, that has more potential dwell time, and hotter spark. There's also usually better control of timing with DIS as well.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Six_Shooter wrote:If you want to keep the dizzy, I'd likely just add an MSD ignition box to the system to increase spark potential.
Thanks for the reply, we have actually got a a MSD-6AL-2 to go on it and will be installing it next week. Lots of guys in the US seem to have success with the 6AL so hopefully it solves the issues for us too.
morex
cars: Holden Torana 383 Chev
Holden Formula SV enchanced v6
Vk commodore wagon
VE SS Ute

Post by morex »

I generally use a Crane hI-6 IGNITION BOX and coil and have had great results. With the std vn v8 hall effect dissy. What compression are you running on that engine? What heat range plugs and what coil? What AFR do you have at the point of break down?
If 1 HP was good then 600+ gotta be great right????
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Compression is just under 13:1 and afr was 12.8:1. The coil is a ICE performance coil but we have a giant MSD one to test with if we still get problems. Not sure on the plugs, but will find out.