Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

timing set fitted, all new associated parts new genuine. :thumbup:

So next is to rust bullet the sump and tail shaft parts. Pickup a flywheel from a wrecker and wait for the new powerbond to arrive. Purchase a HD clutch kit.

Once I have those, its off to Duggan's balancing to balance and assemble my tail shaft with all new genuine parts supplied from me, flywheel mirror balanced and machined, clutch plate neutral balanced to the flywheel, harmonic balancer mirror balanced as well.

That way the engine balance should mirror what it was prior to the manual conversion. Which I might add this engine was silky smooth all the way to redline. It will save me having to balance the whole lot which I can't be stuffed and its more or less stock anyway.
IMG_1039_zpscda947c4.jpg
IMG_1040_zpsfea10094.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vlad01 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

this picture is very handy, i am fitting a rollmaster double roll chain to my brothers turbo motor and it says you need to machine the oil pump cover plate .030 and also run a genuine cover gasket, i can now see why!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

yeah this is just a single, I thought that same thing when I took this pic.

Oh and the genuine gasket is totally different to the after market. In fact all the genuine gaskets I have put on this engine were miles different in material, thickness and design.

I think the slogan of "Go Holden, go better!" makes totally sense now haha. :lol:

The timing cover gasket is an aluminum gasket with a asbestos like material on the outside with beading of a hard red sealant all the way around, and quite thick! The after market gasket is just paper.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

yeah thats what the instructions say, that its a metal gasket.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

Ok, got my rust bullet rust preventative coats down, now to wait 3 hours for it to cure and gas out before I put the rust bullet gloss black top coat on.
IMG_1043_zpsec3c7de8.jpg
IMG_1044_zps4f2c6f84.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by The1 »

alot of people say it doesn't need machining for double row but i thought it would, i know zzp also make double thickness gaskets if you dont want to machine it. I guess the larger gasket and machining it would provide best margin.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

we've had enough issues with this motor, I don't want it apart again for a while hahaha
trikky73
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am
cars: VS V6 Sedan

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by trikky73 »

I am running a double row timing chain on my ecotec and have not had any issue with it hitting the oil pump
seems that some do and some don't
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

IMG_1046_zpsfb0b2e7b.jpg
IMG_1048_zpsb22323c2.jpg
came up alright, I did coat it a bit too thick as the paint is de-gasing and causing a slight speckle look to it, CO2 micro bubbles. The time between coat its suppose to be 3 hours or more, but I just laid 2 coats at a time. The top color coat obviously is more sensitive to it. Oh well still looks heap better than stock paint :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

and its a sump so its not something that's going to be front and centre in the bay :)

looks good either way!

im not sure that ecotecs are the same in the timing chain area, I'm referring to a VN motor with the rollmaster instructions.