Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by VK_3800 »

Aha, 3D

No DirectX problems here, those are for Windows users... :-D
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

Ditching the nylocs and fitting castle nuts.

I hate nylocs, always working loose. So I used an old castle nut and drilled some holes :D
Will pick up new nuts on Monday and my flywheel, clutch fork and HD clutch kit should all be there on Monday. Then off to balancing they go.
IMG_1097_zpsdee6c7a2.jpg
IMG_1098_zps51ac9d57.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

personally i think if a nyloc is working loose its either not tight enough to begin with or its been on and off too many times and the plastic is fucked!

also i hate split pins cause they usually always end up being in between the two castle nut posts is the best spot!! .... thats just me :P
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

I point it down to vibrations mostly. I get lots of vibration cos of my suspension setup and the fact we have absolutely awful roads in my local area. Some of the roads I drive on would fuck most new cars and probably set off air bags.

I only have nylocs come loose, other styles of locking nuts have been fine. One of the issues with nyloc is the lack of adequate thread. Engineering rule of thumb is the thread length of a nut should at least be 1.5 the thread diameter. nyloc is like 1:1 or less in most cases.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

some goodies! billet flywheel and extreme HD organic clutch, Alloy clutch fork.
IMG_1100_zps82022643.jpg
IMG_1099_zps0bd9b8bc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

Well, my tail shaft , harmonic balancer an flywheel/clutch assembly have all gone to Duggan's balancing in Reservoir VIC.

Should be ready either Thursday or Friday. So that means I should be able to drop the engine into the bay this weekend :D
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

i assume your just getting each part balanced by itself ?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

mirror balancing to the originals
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

been working on this in impact CAD. See the PDF file.

Its the sensor bracket and paddle for the clutch pedal.

it may need additional tabs on the bracket to cable tie the cable to it. But the aim is to route a proto-type in aluminum sheet to test fit. Once its all perfected I will get several laser cut in 1mm gal sheet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

So I scored a pair of NOS tranny mounts. finally!

25 each.
IMG_1105_zps145aa3a0.jpg
also with both genuine front ball joints now at hand. I took it to my machinist and the conundrum of how to drill them dead straight became a real challenge. So we came up with some ideas on a jig. He said it was going to cost me a fortune in setup time so he gave me some metal block so I can make it a weekend project to keep costs minimal.

After I am done, I'll probably hand it back for him to drill the holes as I don't have access to a drill press or mill. I do have a drill press at work but being china crap the chuck is eccentric by about 1mm :shock: therefore you can't drill accurate round holes at all.

So basically the idea is, this gets bolted to the milling table, there will be 3x threaded holes to which the ball joint and arm are aligned and bolted to this fixture. 1 bolt is removed, then the mill is centered to the hole and then its drilled to 9.6mm or what ever tolerance we decide. Bolt is placed back and tightened and then the same procedure goes to the next hole. Because each hole is unbolted drilled and re-bolted one at a time nothing moves and it all remains dead straight and alignment is maintained.

In other news. my stuff has been balanced but was late in the day so I might try to pick it all up Monday or Tuesday.
IMG_1102_zps523fc3c4.jpg
IMG_1103_zpsbe4b5d12.jpg
IMG_1104_zpsd06320f1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.