CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
v6bucket
Posts: 768
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by v6bucket »

Looking good.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Charlescrown »

Where will you put your left leg??
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

it fits in there near the steering column! ... its not a commodore as far as leg room, but you also sit pretty high so its not too bad!

from what I've seen of most Bedfords with v8 conversions there box is out to the steering column almost, but I don't think it will need to be that far over, the spark plugs are past the floor so I see no reason not to have the floor as close as I can to the motor in that point!
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

So after posting some updates to my bedford v8 conversion on facebook my cousin got off his butt and scanned in some photos from his dads albums.... this is the only bedford van i've had experience with prior to my van!

for those that know the newcastle area, this first picture is taken at the king edward park hill climb, they used to race a similarly painted Mini there! (and everywhere else) and this was the tow vehicle.
pit%20crew%20bedford.jpg
pit%20crew%20bedford%2020001.jpg
pit%20crew%20bedford%2020003.jpg
pit%20crew%20bedford%2020004.jpg
my only memories of this was a thumping Chev V8, SAAS bucket seats and big fat tyres :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

Had alot of interuptions today (not that im complaining) but eventually got the engine mounts cut off the cross-member without destroying them, then got them partly welded back on, enough to use anyways, will final weld once the cross-member comes back out next time!

i haven't measured it but they are back about 2 inchs, and the gearbox mount is dead in the middle of the long bolt holes ... not sure yet but the gearbox may need to be lower at the rear!

either way good mile stone :thumbup: now that its mounted where its going to stay i'll be able to cut the final hole out in the floor and start working on the other bits and pieces!
P1120011.JPG
P1120012.JPG
P1120014.JPG
P1120015.JPG
P1120018.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10015
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by antus »

certainly looks like the a good location :)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

yeah the only thing that's a bit tight is the oil pump relief valve but i'm hoping that as the motor twists up under load on that side it shouldn't be a problem.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

Had a bit of a play today with an exhaust I got from a vs statesman, long story short it's shit and going to require most parts re-done so I'm going to start from scratch there I think, it was also twin system and I don't really want that!

I also had a bit of a look into the radiator, decided the easiest option is to create a new radiator support bracket so that's coming along nicely, but I'm stuck with thermo fan, I was hoping to use the ecotecs fan/shroud on the vn v8 radiator but it's about 1/2 inch too thick to fit, I then tried with the ecotec radiator and it is about 5mm thinner but still too tight!!

The other option is a mechanical fan but im not real keen on that, think I need to see about au twins!!
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Dylan »

Just something I've come across with thermos. I don't know what size radiator your using but on the Commodore radiators the AU style is way to wide and become inefficient when cut down. I've ran the Ford Mondeo fans a few times and they fit great. Still get 2 big fans. They are offset and slightly smaller than the AU but the shroud seals 10 times better. Other's have ran them as well.
Chuff
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Chuff »

I looked into this with my VP Calais and finally went with Ford Mondeo fans. Fit better that AU or EA model fans and I was very happy with the result. Car never overheated again, even in 40+ degrees.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v8- ... ermos.html

Hope that helps
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs