CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I did some research on the au fans and they are about 8cm too wide, and in my case with the VN/VP V8 radiator I have about 5mm clearance each side of the tanks before it hits the chassis so I can't have anything wider than the radiator!

thanks for the info its good to know, do you know what thickness it ended up on your radiator Chuff ?

just today I've sourced the correct crank and water pump pulleys for HQ V8 so that's sorted and with the shortest options possible, but its still going to be snug!

looks like this is the model your using! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-MONDEO- ... 336e62ddcf
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by The1 »

what about vx/vy twin fans? they defiantly work better on the wagon than my vs single fan.
Chuff
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Chuff »

Holden202T wrote:do you know what thickness it ended up on your radiator Chuff ?
Sorry, I never measured it, but it was an almost perfect fit with the exception of the bottom row of the radiator not being covered by the shroud. In the photo on the web link I provided it shows 2 or 3 rows exposed, and I recall a discussion, either in the posted link or another thread, where there was mention of possible hot spot problems as a consequence, but I was able to trim and position the shroud in a way that resulted in only a single row not being covered. I honestly don't think it would have been a problem but I did take it into consideration and the Mondeo won hands down as the EA - EL fans were just too big, couldn't be trimmed in a manner which sealed well without adding material, and required repositioning of the charcoal canister, as well as possibly fouling other components within the engine bay. I just trimmed slowly and carefully, then used thermo fan pull through clips to attach the fan through the radiator and dropped the complete assembly straight in. Didn't need to touch a thing apart from rotating the charcoal canister a few degrees. Few wires and relays, a quick ECU change to set the cut-in temps in the 12$ tune so the ECU controls the fans and away we go. Only trouble I had was a melting fuse holder which I solved by replacing the single inline 40amp fuse and relay running both fans with twin 40amp blade fuses and relays running 1 fan each. The only time they now come to mind is when I hear the roar of sucking air being drawn through the radiator.

As an added bonus, the trimmed down Mondeo fan fits PERFECTLY on my FJ62 Land Cruiser which is the same width as the VP and 1 row shorter.

Hope that helps.

Chuff
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by immortality »

The1 wrote:what about vx/vy twin fans? they defiantly work better on the wagon than my vs single fan.
Aren't they wider as well when compared to VN-VS?
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by The1 »

yeh bummer, just checked another 100mm
vlt304
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlt304 »

I use mondeo fans on my vl they fit nice and tight but cover about half the tank with the shroud
vlt304
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlt304 »

User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

nice thanks guys!!

looks like it says its 80mm thick in that ebay, that will work with approx. 1 inch to spare!! :)

The1: the later radiators are a fair bit wider than the VN one, probably changed about VT when the twins came along!

as for hot spots I really don't see how its going to make that much difference, the hot water in that part of the core will mix with cooler water from the other parts of the core and will just make the overall temp of the water going into the motor hotter! with that said though, a good condition radiator with that fan setup should be able to keep it cool no problems!
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

i've continued on with my radiator support bracket, its not finished but the general design is worked out and working!
P1120019.jpg
P1120020.jpg
P1120021.jpg
i've also nutted out some crank and water pump pulleys thanks to a mate with spares, so i just need to get the alternator brackets and im good to go there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by delcowizzid »

can you not fit the clutch fan in there they cool better than any electric combo
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem