Comparing the supercharged V6 and ecotec tunes

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
VSteve
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:46 pm
cars: VT Commodore

Comparing the supercharged V6 and ecotec tunes

Post by VSteve »

I am a complete noob at this so pls forgive my inexperience. I tried comparing the L36 and L67 fuel and spark maps in tuner pro and as far as I can tell the Ecotec runs both richer and less spark advance than the L67. How can this be? Can someone please explain what the deal is here! I am assuming values in the tables are in the units of degrees BTDC for ignition and AFR for the fuel one? AFR's for the L67 don't get much richer than 13.5 where as the Ecotec gets to 12.8 and more frequently too. I would have expected something much richer for the L67 especially when people claim running up to 10 PSI on the standard tune!
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Comparing the supercharged V6 and ecotec tunes

Post by yoda69 »

Which xdf file are you using and what bins?
VSteve
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:46 pm
cars: VT Commodore

Re: Comparing the supercharged V6 and ecotec tunes

Post by VSteve »

VT V6 V1.4 $A5F.zip

CNPM3196 $A5F 3.8L S/C Auto 16233396 Series I Supercharged V6, upto 05/1999

CXWL1938 $A5F 3.8L Auto 16233396 Last of Series I Cals
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Comparing the supercharged V6 and ecotec tunes

Post by yoda69 »

I've just posted an updated xdf, it is for TunerPro RT5 Only.
I had the AFR axis reversed, which I just corrected.
To update change the "populate by column" to "populate by row".
This doesn't change much regarding your initial question, but does tie in with what the calibration data is showing.
It appears to be set to run lean between about 1600-2800RPM and light to mid loads (up to ~600mgc) before richening to around 14.0:1 and high loads.
Iy may have been done to improve fuel economy and lessen performance, have to remember this came out when the 5.0 Litre was king and it wasn't meant to usirp it. Then the Gen3 was released with better fuel economy than the old 5.0 Litre, wouldn't have been good to be pushing an L67 that was less powerful and used more fuel than a Gen3. At the time Holden were pushing that driven gently the L67 could have better fuel economy than a N/A V6.
Would be interesting to see some logged data through this area to confirm that this is what is happening.
I've heard reports of the factory L67's running as lean as 18+:1 when lean cruise is activated.

yoda69
Brados
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:59 am
cars: VY Manual Ute

Re: Comparing the supercharged V6 and ecotec tunes

Post by Brados »

I know this is a old topic, but im looking into this now. About to start comparing tables for myself.

Has this been looked into further or is there any new information?
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Comparing the supercharged V6 and ecotec tunes

Post by antus »

VL400 mentioned it here. It does look like a potential problem with all the S/C bins from factory.

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =30#p18340
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396