Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

you can't index these with shims as they use a taper seat. I just swap them around from hole to hole until I get best indexing as each head's thread and plug's thread are random in their starting point.

So you would want to face the gap towards the center of the chamber? looking at how they all have the spark plug facing towards the exhaust side in the head design already, I figured that pointing center, slightly to the exhaust might be best? swirl should swing around from intake across the chamber face where the plug is and around to the exhaust, so if the swirl is still going on when the plug is fired, I figure the front should propagate from the plug toward the center/exhaust side.

just thinking out loud really.

So I will just do this just for the hell of it lol
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by VK_3800 »

You could get tapered shims if you really wanted to.

Yeah the exact direction depends on the chamber design, some say toward the intake and some toward the exhaust. Not sure how it best applies to the V6 but you want it open to the starting part of the burn to initiate it as soon and as quickly as possible. In practice its really just a matter of making sure its pretty open to the chamber rather than having the ground electrode pointing the spark at the wall.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

well finally got my other 808 modded for the VR, NVRAM from the 808 installed, W/R line done, SXR board done. All of these areas I coated with clear urethane glue. Its just like the factory coating !
IMG_1173_zps4ae43fd1.jpg
IMG_1174_zpsa31e186c.jpg

then I ran into this problem.



Both fan relays were randomly cycling, and any time I tried to connect with TP or the flash tool the fans would go berserk.

I found a link between serial data and the fans switching on! WTF!!

So I unplugged that ECU, fitted my USB 808 and fitted the NVRAM back to that one, pulled the serial line out so it was only recieving data via the USB, I know this one worked. Same thing. fans wound go when I used the flash tool or TP. TP would not connect what ever I did despite which ECU I used. Flash tool sorted of connected, tried to download the bin and cal and both failed, about 50% of the data was not readable, some was.

I could download the RAM no probs?

pulled the NVRAM and fitted standard cal, no weird fan issue in either ECU.

So thinking my NVRAM might of fried when I touched the back of the ECU while I was plugging it in, which I saw all the LEDs on it light up when I touched under the big ceramic cap looking thing accidentally.

I switched to bank B and all seems good, back to bank A its goes stupid again.

So its all does work when I got to B, fitted my WB and tested that externally by feeding it propane vapor, Yep! works like a charm.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3FTNIqj8ek[/youtube]

So I need new NVRAM to fix this fault? is it likely damaged or just corrupt?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by VL400 »

vlad01 wrote:So thinking my NVRAM might of fried when I touched the back of the ECU while I was plugging it in, which I saw all the LEDs on it light up when I touched under the big ceramic cap looking thing accidentally.

I switched to bank B and all seems good, back to bank A its goes stupid again.

<clip>

So I need new NVRAM to fix this fault? is it likely damaged or just corrupt?
Sounds like bank A is corrupt due to being zapped by the powered up ECU and just needs to be reprogrammed. Or just leave it as is and run from bank B.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

I'd rather it fixed, can I send it to you for re-programing?

I think I might have one of those jaycar programer? if that will work, I am willing to give it a go. I have no idea how to use it though, its been many years since I touched it.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

nope, my programer is for PIC chips only by the looks of it.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

its worthwhile getting your own programmer, i use mine regularly for all sorts of tuning stuff including nvrams ....

i've also had a similar issue of corruption, went to the dyno, ran the car for hours, stopped and started multiple times, back on the trailer, get home to unload and turn the ignition on, next thing i know i have fans and CEL and no go!

and that is why i always carry a spare ecm with no realtime or anything just stock as 808 with a memcal programmed with my last known good tune as a backup!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

which programer should I get, software and such?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

i have a willem gq-4x and it comes with software ....
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »