vn v6 turbocharger choice

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vn304turbo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 pm
cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by vn304turbo »

Ok so I decided to just get a bosch 044 to use in place of the external pumps I already have, did a little thinking and would just rather do it once. A wise old man once told me "the poor man pays twice" and I remember that while at work due to something that happened there ; )
vn304turbo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 pm
cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by vn304turbo »

So here is the turbo. Shaft has basically stuff all play but I purchased it under the assumption that the only markings on it were .70 which I saw stamp on the comp cover but as I was on my lunch break I was quick about it all and didnt have a good look at it just forked over the 250 bucks the guy wanted after checking for shaft play.

As you can see tho there is also a .48 markig on the rear housing. Bloke tried to say it qas t4 but it matches a t3 flange gasket I had in the car. .48 sounds too small to me : /
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by Holden202T »

if it is infact .48 rear thats going to spool REALLY quick hehe ... im not actually sure of where the .48 is in the pic ?

as for the t3/4 housing, are you referring to the flange in the second picture or the exhaust inlet which there isn't a pic of ?
vn304turbo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 pm
cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by vn304turbo »

.48 is at the top right of the pic near the exhaust inlet. Whenbi asked how kuch boost tmhe was running he jusr said it blew two engines over booosting them ; /
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by Holden202T »

yeah kinda looks like a T3, but hard to say ... see if the measurements are the same as this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-T3 ... 6wt_162022

overboosting is generally caused by either no wastegate or too small of a wastegate, not the size of the turbo, that more dictates when it can make boost and the size motor it can supply it to.
vn304turbo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 pm
cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by vn304turbo »

That gasket in the photo was a mates old one, it came off his vl-t and the turbo on that is a t3/t4 .63 turbine .50 compressor so im convinced its a t3 rear but I will measure it up to be sure.

As for overboosting, as you said its not the turbo but a wastegate problem
With my turbo manifold the wastegate only bleeds exhaust pressure from the crossover. Should I modify this manifold and merge both banks into one pipe 100mil before the turbo then olumb the wastegate out of that? or perhaps just add a second wastegate to the other pipe on the manifold as it sits now? I dont mind buying 2 gates lol
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by Holden202T »

if the gate is that pipe in the pic above on the left that joins in at the turbo flange I don't see why it wont work properly!
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by delcowizzid »

if that housing is in the 0.40's its suited to 4 cylinder
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlt304
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by vlt304 »

you will need a large gate if you use a small exhaust housing but it will boost from real early. :driving:
vn304turbo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 pm
cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by vn304turbo »

I knew the rear housing would be too small but is it still usable? I dont care if it boosts really early and doesnt make alot of power infact having it spool up early and quick will probably suit what I want to do. If its too small to be usable then ill just buy tge turbo delcowizzid recommended.