lowering fuel pressure

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

lowering fuel pressure

Post by Grim304 »

Hi, can I use just a regulator to drop the fuel pressure to 4psi from the standard pump?
The reason I ask is that I am going to carburettor to try so I can work on a modified intake manifold.

My worry is that trying to reduce a pump that can push 50-70psi it will be too much for a regulator?
I will run a regulator anyway but I gather I will need to buy a low pressure fuel pump instead of using the stock unit.

So far I have a 4-barrel intake manifold with 1" spacer and 650dp, I also have spare bonnet to cut a hole for it as well.
I may actually stay with carb as the sound of a carby V8 is pretty awesome at WOT.
Image
hot308vb
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:53 am
cars: Vy ls1 spac ute daily driver
Cammed vf ssv redline
vs clubsport high comp solid cammed 355 brass buttoned t56 6 speed 4.11 diff
Location: Seymour, Vic

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by hot308vb »

Just make sure you get a good quality fuel pressure reg and it will do it no problem, my mate is using a Aeromotive one(i think) on his Carbied 6/71 charged ls 6 litre using two Bosch 044s with great results.
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by Grim304 »

Thanks for the advice :)
Image
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by Grim304 »

I have picked up a Holley with single in, and has a return line so i can plug it into my existing setup.

The carby will likely be a temporary setup as I need to open up the injection manifold and I plan to put a top plenum on it and eventually run an 80mm TB.

I may need some help with the ECU though as not sure what exactly will happen or if it will run correct timing and what will happen to the Auto Trans settings.
Image
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by antus »

It might throw some fueling DTCs if the tune isnt as good as it expects and of course when it trys to apply fuel trims they'll have no effect, but it'll handle spark and the trans OK. If you want to clean that up you can mask those DTCs and turn them back on when you go fuel injection again.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by VL400 »

There are a few spark only delco setups on here. Mounting a TPS is worth doing or you work from the idle spark table.

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 36&p=18433
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by Grim304 »

cheers team, at this stage the plan is temporary, i am running some pretty nice flowing heads that actually match the full available gasket holes whereas the injection has mm's to spare, at least the gaskets give me a size to work with :)
Image
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by Jayme »

ive run an 808 with spark only before. if I left the tps off, it would run off the idle spark table only. but if I left it plugged in but not acutally connected to the throttle shaft, the ecm would set an error code and then it would run off the main spark table like I wanted :).
I just disconnected the injectors, IAC and MAT, bolted on the holley and plugged in a tps and shoved it under the manifold to hide :P with the carby tuned up and widebanded it ran ok, but after I ran the EFI style spark map, it drove like an injected one. you could swear it was stiil an injected 304
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by Holden202T »

we run a similar setup to Jayme, carby 202 with delco for spark and TPS connected to the loom only.... its a pig when cold because its methanol and has no choke, but once its warmed up it runs so nice!
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: lowering fuel pressure

Post by Grim304 »

That sounds too simple.... :D
Thank millions, you have made me feel much more confident. TPS it is then.

I had to grind a little off the manifold as the heads have a small lip and it was stopping it sitting flush. I am still waiting on the Holley regulator to turn up but that should be be pretty straight forward.
I have a few alterations to do to the hoses and vacuum to make it tidy, then I have roller rockers once all the other stuff is sorted.
Image